Wine Making Journal

I was surprised with our visit to the¬†Red Hook Winery in Brooklyn¬†because I did not know that we had a winery in the city. I thought that they were all in Long Island and upstate New York. Red Hook winery compared to other wineries that I’ve visited such as¬†Millbrook winery in Long Island and Moet and Chandon winery in France as well as the¬†research I did¬†on winemaking and wine blending many of the things that Mr. Foley mentioned were familiar to me and expected.¬†¬†Such as the procedures after harvest, the way its stored and aged and the different procedures taken to¬†perfect the wine¬†whether its blending with other wines or transferring from one barrel to another to give it another flavor¬†before the finished product is bottled.¬†However, the one thing¬†that did¬†caught my attention was when Mr. Foley said a drop of milk in the wine could fix its bitterness. It was something that I did not come across during my research and I would have never imagined milk being used as¬†a tool to improve the wine.¬†Furthermore, during my research one of my sources stated that white wines are not good for blending however, Red Hook winery had a¬†beautiful blend of Riesling and Chardonnay sweet and buttery to the palate.¬†Learning at the winery is always so much better then learning through research because with just doing research questions are left unanswered and every winemaker has a personal touch that makes their wine unique.

The base wines we tasted were Riesling, ¬†Sauvignon Blanc, two Chardonnay’s ¬†(one aged in stainless steel and the other in oak), Cabernet Franc,¬†Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. My favorite wine is¬†German Riesling, but¬†at this winery their version of Riesling¬†wasn’t my favorite.¬†It was dry and¬†I¬†felt tannin on the palate.¬†It’s appearance¬†was¬†greenish yellow possibly from the grape skins, but its aroma is true to its kind.¬†Nothing compared to the German Riesling¬†close to¬†opposites. Also the Chardonnay aged in stainless steel¬†was very pleasant. It was sweet and moist, but¬†high in acidity. I think it was¬†perfectly aged¬†and one of the best¬†base wines I had.¬†After¬†a while of tasting so many wines they all started to taste¬†the same. In addition, I’m not a¬†fan of red wine, but¬†I did like tannin levels of the¬†red wines we had. They¬†weren’t as strong as other wines that we’ve tried in class.¬†The red wine with the least tannin was Cabernet Sauvignon¬†and it was slightly lower in alcohol compared to the other red wines. I enjoyed this wine¬†most from the reds and its something that¬†could be enjoyed with duck fillet.

This entry was posted in Wine Making Session Journal Entries. Bookmark the permalink.