Favorite Project

One of the most exciting project I have worked on during this internship was designing T-shirts for a charity, the CEO is working on as a side project. The charity is going towards a foundation, aims to building a design school abroad, equivalent to the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York. The goal is to provide education to children in Pakistan, Aysha’s home country. The school will teach basic skills such as English, math, science, as well as, computer efficiency, and graphic design.

The campaign was to design t-shirts inspired by kids’ drawings. It was rewarding seeing kids drawings become a powerful tool to spread a message. The idea of the design was to have few kids draw something from their imagination, and write a thought underneath that inspired the drawing.

One of the sketches we got was NYC skyline. It was done by an 8 year old child that wrote “My Favorite City.” Another one was sketched by a little girl who drew a butterfly and wrote “Fly Like a Butterfly.” A very interesting one was a smiley face and it simply says “Happy”. I was able to upload the original drawings and trace over the digital copy using illustrator. We wanted to preserve the originality of it and youthful handwriting and not too perfect outlines. We kept the drawings the same way with the sloppy handwriting and the not too perfect outlines. With that process, I thought it gave the design its authenticity, and it created a sense of sympathy to the donors, feeling for the less fortunate kids out there chasing their dreams with very minimum chance of making them a reality.