End of Module One- Culture in Health and Illness

Dear Fellows

We had an intense and exciting discussion this past week!

Rita Charon’s book Chapter 6 “close reading” led us to “close scrutiny ” Dean Barbara Grumet gave us some additional clarification

“. . . participants [in a narrative writing seminar for oncology service] provided short prose or poems they had written about patients on the unit.  (We met with hospital counsel before starting the seminar and, upon their advice, told our participants not to use patients’ names, unit numbers, or any identifying details).  Anything a clinician writes about identifiable patients, counsel warned, is potentially discoverable.”
This  is in a section called “Narrative Oncology”.  I don’t have a page number on my Kindle but it is about 3/4 of the way through the book.
I haven’t found the passage where she describes legal approval for the Parallel Chart format, but I’m sure she got clearance for it.  There is room in a chart, particularly in a teaching hospital, for this type of material.
This is from the NYS Department of Health website:

Department of Health Memorandum

Access to Patient Information

Patients and other qualified persons have a right to access patient information under Section 18 of the Public Health Law. Section 18 contains the procedures for making records available and the conditions under which a provider can deny access. If access is denied, the patients or other qualified persons are afforded the right of appeal to a Medical Record Access Review Committee (MRARC).  . . .

Personal Notes and Observations

Section 18 of the Public Health Law permits providers to deny access to personal notes and observations. The law defines personal notes and observations as “a practitioner’s speculations, impressions (other than tentative or actual diagnosis) and reminders, provided such data is maintained by a provider.”

It has been suggested that handwritten portions of health care records may all be considered “personal notes and observations” and may be withheld from qualified persons, but this interpretation is “overbroad.” Consequently, Subpart 50-3 of the Department of Health’s Rules and Regulations states “Handwritten notes and observations shall not be presumed to be personal notes and observations.”

As I understand the Parallel Chart, it would fall under the “personal notes and observations” exception to routine sharing of patient records with other providers, insurance companies, and the patient or family, but of course could be subpoenaed.  However the malpractice literature also advises that the best way to prevent malpractice is to make the patient feel that you treating him/her with professionalism, dignity, respect, and honesty.  So if the Parallel Chart helps with this, I say go for it!!!

So , dear Colleagues , hopefully this will help us in our own practices for (the health care providers)  and with our students.

Our discussion When the Spirit Catches You showed compassion and sensitivity to both parents and the medical providers. I believe we learning as much from each others disciplines as we are from the readings. The time we have together goes by quickly.We try and ensure all voices are heard.

Like our students we are a most interesting and diverse group!

We are looking forward to the next module ..

Images of Death and Dying

We have our reading packets and movie lists.

I am looking forward to our field trip to the Metropolitan  Museum of Art. I have not been there in over 10 years – I used to visit at Christmas time to see the tree with my children.  I have never gone with colleagues, at this late stage in my life it feels so very Cosmopolitan.

One Response to End of Module One- Culture in Health and Illness

1. I happened on this nice video of Ann Fadiman talking about The Spirit Catches You on the 15th anniversary of its publication.

Hope the link works!