NUR 4010 Community Health

Narrative Self-Reflection of Service Learning Project

During the fall semester of 2017, I have attended clinical at the First Step NYC Early Childhood Center and Early Education Leadership Institute in the Brownsville area. I worked along side the teachers of the facility in conducting lessons plans and activities for the children ranging from the ages of two to three. The insight I gained from observing the environment of the First Step Childhood Center was remarkable. Being that I am passionate about working in the pediatric field, assisting the teachers gave me even more confidence to pursue this goal. Throughout the clinical course my fellow students and I were required to follow specific guidelines. From this experience, I can take what I have learned and apply it to my future endeavors through self-reflection.

Objective 1: Demonstrates Individual Professionalism Through Personal Behaviors and Appearance

In the clinical setting, it is essential that one’s physical appearance and attitude be professional at all times. At First Step Childhood Center, scrubs were the attire that was required of the students. I recognized that I was to be a representation of City Tech thus I ensured that every week I was in the fitting attire as well ensuring that I was punctual consistently.  In preparation for clinical conferences, I regularly endeavored to be up to date with the current events regarding the benefits of early childhood education and provided insight to my clinical group weekly. I arranged for my assignments to be completed in a timely manner and when I faced any difficulties I utilized outside resources as well as the guidance of my professor via email or in person after our clinical conference meetings.  Confidentiality is vital in the Childhood center as some children were involved in Administration for Children Services (ACS) cases; where the children’s well-being was being investigated. I sustained the confidentiality of the children I encountered by only discussing their cases with their caregivers and teachers that was involved in their care.

Objective 2: Employ Analytical Reasoning and Critical Thinking Skills When Providing Care to Individuals and Families in the Community Setting

In the clinical setting, the students and I were required to conduct a presentation. I performed an assessment where I distinguish what challenge were in the Brownsville community. Through countless research, and communicating with the teachers, my group and I decided to present on the relationship between uncontrolled anger in children and hypertension. Every week, I observed the behavior of the age group that I was assigned to which was the two and three-year old’s. Through my observation, I was able to acknowledge that some of the children were quite aggressive and research shows that uncontrolled anger in childhood can lead to detrimental health concerns in adulthood. The interactions between the parents and their child also led me to recognize that the behaviors the children exhibit in the classroom may very well reflect what they observe their parents execute at home.

The assessment was helpful in distinguishing the direction in which I should take regarding the conducting of my research. I first conducted research on the demographics of the Brownsville community, I then narrowed my search to the children population and gathered information regarding prevalence of anger in children and its relationship to hypertension. Subsequently, I gathered data regarding way in which one can intervene when a child shows signs of uncontrolled anger. Then I executed the intervention in my classroom and evaluated its effectiveness.

Objective 3: Effectively Communicate with Diverse Groups and Disciplines Using a Variety of Strategies Regarding the Health Needs of Individuals and Families in the Community Setting

I strived throughout the clinical setting to use therapeutic communication effectively as it aids in the most favorable execution of care. When encountering the parents, I allowed them to verbalize any concerns that they may have. As an advocate, I relayed their interests and concerns to the teachers, directors, and/or social workers. I was able to effectively communicate to the parents and staff by evading the use of medical jargon and explain nursing terms in the simplest manner. Communication was conducted in an operative manner by making constant eye contact with my peers, professor and the staff, by maintaining good posture and engaging in active listening.

Objective 4: Establish Environment Conducive to Learning and Use a Plan for Learners Based on Evidence-Based Practice

I worked alongside the teachers in developing activities for the children conducive to their age group and learning ability. Based on the children stage of development, the two and three-old engage in activities that aided in enhancing their fine and gross motor skills. The teachers and I observed the children and evaluated them based on their performance. Those who displayed limitations were given activities that were appropriate for their level.

Objective 5: Utilize Informational Technology When Managing Individual and Families in the Community

Regarding the research presentation, the principles of nursing informatics was utilized by providing the facility with resources pertaining to reducing parental strain. Education was provided to the staff concerning distinguishing between acceptable and unacceptable ways of expressing anger and how to intervene when a child is exhibiting signs of unacceptable angry behavior. Confidentiality was kept always by avoiding conversations with the use of the children’s name and avoiding discussions about a child with those who was not actively a part of the child’s care.

Objective 6. Demonstrate a Commitment to Professional Development

The Community Nursing textbook was one of many resources that I would reference to remain up-to-date with planning care for client’s in the community setting. I have showed great commitment in the position that I was placed in this facility by taking initiative in establishing and executing activities for the children. In doing so, my commitment depicted dedication and hard work to the staff that they offered themselves as a guide and was readily accessible to me if I needed any support. The experience allowed me to have a new-found passion for community nursing and this is a field that I would be interested in pursuing.

Objective 7. Incorporate Professional Nursing Standards and Accountability into Practice

American Nurses Association (ANA) Standards in clinical practice was utilized throughout the clinical setting. I upheld the standards of the ANA by demonstrating consistent professionalism which displayed a positive view of the nursing profession. Regarding the ANA standards and the policies of the agency, I was aware of what was expected of me as a student in the clinical setting and I have strived and will continue to endeavor in remaining within my scope of practice. When I was assigned a responsibility in the clinical area, such as execute an educational activity, I was often held accountable in ensuring that the students pay attention and participate. I often received positive feedback for the work that I have done. The agency’s mission is to prepare and support current and future leaders to improve outcomes for all children and families by advancing quality and best practice in early education settings.

Objective 8. Collaborate with Clients, Significant Support Persons and Members of the Health Care Team

I was able to collaborate effectively with the professor as well as the staff of the First Step NYC facility in regardless to educating the caregivers on ways to cope with stress and how that may aid in effectual parenting. Various resources were placed in the facility and were readily available for use. Several times a year the facility distributes fresh produce to families. I used the distribution of the produce as means of emphasizing the importance of a healthy lifestyle for not only the caregiver but for the children as well.

Objective 9. Recognize the Impact of Economic, Political, Social and Demographic Forces That Affect the Delivery of Health Care Services

I acknowledge and recognized the gap in the care system regarding the Brownsville community. The people in the community is predominantly African American and of low socio-economic status. I have acknowledged that the increased stress that caregivers may face regarding economic means have a tremendous toll on their health. As a result, the neglect of self-care, prohibits the caregiver from providing the best possible care for their child. Psychological care is often overlooked in the African American community, especially in the working class because they are constantly striving to attain economic means to provide for their family. The resources that my clinical group and I provided the facility aids in allowing the caregivers to acknowledge this concept and act.

The various experiences throughout the semester has been a pleasant one. The self-reflection has allowed me to come to the realization that I have learned a lot about the First Steps NYC’s purpose and about myself. This has been an incredible learning experience. This clinical setting has not only allowed me to have a solid foundation as I continue on my academic endeavors but it has provided me with more passion in pursuing the field of pediatric nursing.