Landing the Job

Pixabay 2016, Turned-on Macbook Air on White and Gray Surface, accessed 17 October 2022 <https://www.pexels.com/photo/application-blur-business-communication-209726/>

Applying as an intern with the organization was a smooth but nerve wracking process for me. During the beginning of the semester, I had been having trouble finding an internship with an organization and was beginning to feel anxious that I would fall behind my classmates due to needing to keep up with other classes and my part-time job at Target. Luckily, my professor understood my plight and recommended that I apply with Unity for Equality as it would free me up from needing to travel and perform tasks and projects on-site. Following her advice, I tidied up my resume and cover letter, sent them in an email to the CEO and received a reply within the next day for an interview. I was surprised with how fast the response and even more surprised with how fast the process from interview to receiving the job was.

During the interview, I was in a Zoom call with myself, the CEO, and another student from my internship class who was also pursuing an internship with the non-profit. In the call, we were both given a rundown on what department we would be working within and what types of tasks we would be performing. The CEO also made me make an account with a communications software called Rock. From Rock, I would be able to communicate one-on-one with the CEO, supervisors, and other interns working in the same department I was. At first, this was tough to get used to since I had never worked remotely before and this internship experience was the first time I had ever done remote work. However, I was able to learn how communication worked on Rock rather quickly and I was soon able to communicate with my supervisors and submit projects to them effectively and on time.

I am currently working in the Communications & Marketing Department with the title of Digital Design Associate. My current supervisor has the title of Director of Communications & Marketing. I am given projects by them on a weekly basis and am meant to complete these projects by the end of the week. So far, these projects have consisted of redesigning old organization materials such as their scholarship application and helping to design new ones such as articles and covers for their official magazine. I believe these projects are putting my graphic design skills to a proper test and the feedback I receive from my supervisor is helpful in that it helps me make work that best represents the organization.