Ethics in Design 1A

1a. Throughout my internship experience, I believe I have done my due responsibility as a designer and followed all ethical guidelines present in the AIGA guide for my projects. During each new project, I have always taken care in what images and designs I use in order to bring out an image that the organization was happy with. Being given resources by the organization such as their logo and branding colors meant that I would need to utilize these resources along with my own personal touches to produce works that aligned with the message of the organization. In AIGA’s “A Client’s Guide to Design: How to Get the Most Out of the Process”, they mention that the responsibility of a designer to their client is to “acquaint themself with a client’s business and design stan – dards and act in the client’s best interest within the limits of professional responsibility.”

In some of my first assignments, I had sent versions of my projects to my supervisors where the logo or branding colors went unused. After receiving feedback from my supervisor, I made changes accordingly in order to make sure that my work aligned with the vision of the organization. I have always kept the interests of the organization in mind and will continue to do so for every project I make for them.

This is done to prevent any lawsuits from occurring. As for image sourcing, for each project for the organization, I have sourced all photographs that I use from royalty-free image databases such as Pexels. Websites such as these contain royalty-free images that can be used in professional projects without credit. One such example from my internship experience was when I had to design 3 different magazine covers for the organization’s official magazine. For these 3 covers, the subject was Queen Elizabeth II and the cover was meant to be a tribute to her life after she was announced dead. For this project especially, I wanted to make sure that the images came from royalty-free databases. I only ended up making minor alterations to the photos in the end such as clipping the subject out of the background and color correction. Other than those alterations, all of the photos I sourced were royalty-free and free of copyright.

Citation(s)

• “A Client’s Guide to Design: How to Get the Most Out of the Process” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard GrefĂ©, AIGA. 
  • “Use of Photography” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard GrefĂ©, AIGA. 
  • “Guide to Copyright” AIGA. (2001). PDF. New York City; Richard GrefĂ©, AIGA.