Unit 6 Blog

Respond to this question by giving your own opinion and, if possible, information from the texts. Due May 9 (Friday).
Do you think City Tech has done a good job of keeping students safe on campus? If yes, explain what safety features you think are effective. If no, explain what the security weaknesses are.

7 responses to “Unit 6 Blog

1. A college should be a safe place where students can study,communicate and relax.Unfortunately,our college doesn’t have the highest quality on the safety. For example, City Tech has no metal detectors. Every day we hear and see news about armed students who bring a weapon to school and kill other students. Based on these kind of news our school need to install this equipment that will make every one pass through them and it will reduce weapon violence in our college as well.

2. Since City Tech is a college of technology it should be one of the most equipped schools in terms of technology for students protection, but the reverse is the case. Flashing of student I.D in the face of security officers which might not be looked at is not enough to keep the school safe. One might show a stolen I.D to get in the school or an I.D that looks similar. I think their should be turnstiles where the I.D would be swiped to allow students get through and it should be renewed each semester. I also think that City Tech security officials should be well armed incase of any robbery or shooting in the school.

3. As Colleges serve large population safety should be a top priority. In my observation, I think at City Tech the security is not too tight. The only act of showing ID to the security guard to have access to the campus can’t keep our school safe enough. City Tech should update in term of detector equipments. Another thing should I say for our security, everyone should be attentive, for example: “If you see something, say something.”

4. I think that City tech should improve the security for the students in city tech. City tech has a lot of security but they are not really serious to protect the student because a lot of times when you enter the college i have seen that people would just pass with their I.D’s and the security would not even care to at least see it close enough to see if that’s the student in that I.D. If it keeps happening like this something bad can happen to city tech and not only other colleges too.

5. Even though City Tech has a kinda outdated ID system, no high-tech security screening process, and people can get into the building by just showing ID to security guards, I still think it is enough to keep us safe. The security guards are always on duty and control access. Though they aren’t actually police, they have been trained. It is hard to prevent campus from all attack or intrusion, especially with purposes and plans. Students should learn how to protect themselves from such dangers. However, It could be better if City Tech has CCTV cameras to record the movement of people.

6. As far as what i’ve personally experienced in other schools and their security protocols, i would say City Tech is doing a lazy, slackish job in that area. I’m not sure what those raised metal structures at the entrance does, but so far i’ve seen form of metal detectors; which means anybody could walk in with a knife or a gun and inflict a great amount violence on the student body, as well as the faculty and staff. However, in my opinion, the likelihood of such a thing happening at City Tech is very low as i see no reason for it and i’ve never felt any tension in the atmosphere that would lead to that. But that still doesn’t eliminate the possibility of such a tragedy occurring, as we’ve already seen that madmen are willing to kill groups of innocent people with senseless purpose.

7. In my opinion, the name City Tech should give out to the reader that the college is about technology which the reader might think that the college is the number one college on the list with having the latest technology on the market, but it’s the complete opposite. As you enter the college the first few words that might pop up in your head are antic, old, prison like format and you start disliking it. But although it has all this bad features when it comes to security City Tech just made the border line. It might not have screen scanners or metal detectors and an old fashion of identification but it’s just right. I say it’s just right because in my opinion a college that is well protected draws a lot of attention in which people that want to cause harm might try something against a place that is well secure to test their ability than to attack a place with little security where there be no purpose of going. There’s few things we can’t prepare or protect ourselves from. City Tech might not have the highly technologies but a few well trained security guards going around making sure the classrooms are secure is good enough.