Getting an internship at Viacom was kind of an easy process. It was during the end of July and I was applying everywhere online in hopes of getting an internship. I just went on the Viacom career website and applied to their fall internship program. I applied to work under their design section.  It took a few weeks after and I got an email from the program asking me to come for an interview.

I was asked to email my supervisor I was going to intern for to set up an interview with him. I wrote an email email to him to set up a date and got a prompt response. I was feeling very nervous in preparing for my interview because that meant I had to tidy up my portfolio and find a suitable attire.

During the day of the interview it was raining and I thought that it wasn’t a good sign. I went to one of Viacom’s building in lower Manhattan where I would be interviewing with my supervisor. It was on the 8th floor and I spoke with the receptionist to inform them of my interview. As I was waiting for my future supervisor I was approached with a man that was more than 6 feet tall. I felt kind of intimidated as I was shaking hands with him and walking to his office.

As we were in his office he started by asking me to to talk about my design experience in relation to work and school. I talked for quite a while explaining my past design internship and what I was learning at school and how it relates to this internship. I then went on and showed him my various design work. He seemed very interested and asked me questions about my design work  and how I approached them. After a while I felt very comfortable talking to him and I went on and asked him about his life as a designer and what led him to work at Viacom. It was very casual and didn’t feel like an interview at all. In the end he explained to me what I would be doing as an intern and then we parted ways.

At the end of the day the internship program also told me that it was a good idea to email them a thank you letter for the interview. I went ahead and did it and then waited for a response back to them. IN a few days I got a response back from my supervisor Jason that I was accepted into the internship. I was happy and excited to work at Viacom during the Fall.