Michael Cannetti | OL15 11310 | Summer 2021

Week 1 assignment 1 Log line

*Man play’s games against his evil alter ego, but he just can’t seem to best him and win

Here the character will battle against his alter ego in 1 or more games. An example of the game could be chess, connect , videogames, etc. The day begins with an introduction of the characters and what the main characters goal is. The goal is to defeat the evil alter ego, as it is the only way to get rid of him.

*Man is doomed to repeat the same day over again and can only progress by making the right decisions

This film will be a comedy. The main character will wake up and have to repeat his day from waking up every time they make a mistake. Eventually they begin to get through the day successfully.

*Man is in a skateboarding race and has to win to pay for surgery for his pet cat

This film is about a person who has to win a skateboarding race to pay for an upcoming surgery for their cat. The race is against one other person, whom is also their known rival. Knowing that the rival wants the money for selfish reasons this motivates the main character to put in extra effort.

1. Michael Cannetti

Hi Jonathan,

First I love all of these ideas. They sound super fun and inventive.
    Don’t forget to add in your Outlines to all of your loglines in order to get full credit.

Story 1: The idea of an evil version of oneself is so fun. I think you can be really creative in this type of story. But you have to remember to make the idea believable, everything about both versions needs to be completely opposite. If the hero is in a Marvel TV Shirt, the villain should be in a DC Shirt. If the hero plays the game in his bedroom, the villain should be in the living room. If the hero is filmed on the right side of the frame, the villain should be on the left, and so on and so forth. Great concept.

Story 2: This is something that is totally achievable. You only need one actor and one location. You can stage the scene in such a way that there is not escape. It can a puzzle based story like the Saw Movies. There is an amazing movie called Rear Window starting Jimmy Stewart where it takes place entirely in 1 room.

Story 3: I think this is a fun idea. The challenge is how you can achieve it in the time frame we have for class. You’ll need a bunch of actors and extras. You’ll need a doctors office/vet. I think it is a great idea, and you should definitely make it at some point. I think it will require a lot more time and planning than you might have at your disposal for this class.

Great work!
    I look forward to reading the outlines and whichever you decide to make into your script.

Michael Cannetti

2. Xavier Laws

Logline 1 A man who is afraid to fail. Alex 22 year old second year college student starts his semester already having doubts on him pass some classes. He doesn’t want to give up and waste time and effort that was already put in. But he doesn’t want all this to end crashing and burning with he just hurting himself at the end of it all.

Logline 2 A young boy who can’t make friends. Jaune an 8 year old boy is trying to come with terms with being different. Everything he seems to do is different from other kids in his school. He doesn’t like the same shows , clothes , games that other his age love Jaune wants to know why know else is like him.

Logline 3 A man wants to be a real life super hero. Jake a man who is 25 years old wants to stop crime in his town but he isn’t the most athletic person. he still determine to fight crime in way were he doesn’t need training. he decide to build a remote control robot and us it to fight crime.

• Michael Cannetti

Hi Xavier,

Story 1: Afraid to fail
      I think this is a really interesting story. It is a fear most people face at one point in their college career. How are you going to show a classroom?
      Is school still virtual? Is there a way to showcase his anxiety from the past that he is afraid to repeat? Does he have a job? Is there something that is the underlying fear?
      Will he overcome that fear and if so, how?

Story 2: Boy can’t make friends.
      This could be a truly beautiful and relatable story. So many people have felt different at some point in their life. How do they cope? Where do they turn? Will Jaune make a friend?
      Will he be accepted? What is the common through-line that helps him find a friend and make a connection? Is there a through-line? These are really interesting questions to ask yourself.
      Where will you film it? How many kids do you need? Do you need anyone but a single little boy?

Story 3: Real Life Super Hero.
      As you know, I love super heroes. My question is, how do you want to showcase this? Is he just a guy that does good deeds? Is this an origin story where the entire movie he’s training to be a hero after seeing someone suffer a terrible tragedy? Will the last shot be of him on a rooftop embracing who he was always meant to be?

Really interesting ideas. I think there is a way to make these within the confines of our class but tell it in a smaller way.
      Good luck.

Michael Cannetti

• Yessica

1. Out of the three I think this would be the easiest to film. I think a lot of people can relate to this in college. At one point everyone wants to give up because of the overwhelming amount of school work. Maybe Alex is struggling with the school work or having trouble balancing between his personal life and school. Maybe at the end he can find a motive to continue with school.
      2. A lot of children in school have a hard time because everyone just wants to fit in. So when you’re a little bit “different” it can be hard especially since kids can be really mean sometimes. It may be harder to film since it takes place in a school setting. Maybe you can film the after math o when he comes back home and what struggles he deals with.
      3. I think this can definitley be a comedy. Jake can have a goofy personality and maybe people don’t really see him to be a superhero but he surprises them when he build the robot.