Reading Response to Murray by David Evangelista (Make up)

Viewpoint 1: New media’s “intrinsic properties” are not yet being utilized; that is, it’s full potential has not yet been realized.

• What needs to evolve in order for new media to utilize it’s “intrinsic properties:”  society, the medium/technology, or both?
  • Could this be achieved with current technology, or does a more integrated, immersive and/or interactive media technology need to emerge first?

When choosing which view point I should use from the ones that Noah has presented, I’ve decided to use the first viewpoint.  It was great that he gave us numerous view points to work with.  The viewpoint I picked is that I believe our media has not yet reached it’s full potential.  The reason for this is because I don’t really know what “full potential” really is.  What is this “full potential” you speak of, as there are always ways to improve, especially in the world with media.  The world of technology evolves each and every day more and more.  If technology improves more and more, media should as well.  Sure, right now the improvements of media is still not as different as it was years ago, but we’re only talking about a few years compared to the centuries to come.  In a few hundred years, the evolvement of both technology and media should be higher then what we could ever imagine.

That being said, I don’t believe we have what it takes to achieve the “full potential” of media.  Mainly because I don’t truly believe in the word “full potential” since there is always more room to improve, but also because we are not entirely sure what exactly can be done in the future.  Even in just a measly 10 years, technology should evolve to an amazing level.  Sure, 10 years isn’t really measly since most of us wont possibly live past 100, but compared to how long humanity will be around for, 10 years is only a small fraction.

I don’t only believe that media’s intrinsic properties have reached their full potential.  I believe that it never will reach it’s full potential.

This entry was posted in Assignments, David Evangelista, Getelman-Murray. Bookmark the permalink.