Reponse to Suly’s quesetions for Boal’s reading

If you were to ask me what kind of game I’d like to bring into the U.S.  and spread, there would of course be many for various reasons which simply result in me saying that I want to play them.  Especially in English rather than in Japanese or whatever language they may be from.  Yes I am talking about video games as that is what I frequently and there are just many out there in the world that I’d love to just grab onto, but am unable to because of it being available in another country.  I can’t even hope to play those games either because of region protection placed on consoles and even on Televisions!

If there was one game I’d have to pick in general that does give a life lesson…  I’d have to go with Mother 3 for the game boy advance.  An innocent game where a boy who is scared of life slowly becomes the savior of the world.  As childish as the game is, there are a lot of dark parts of the game like the mother being killed in the very beginning of the story.  Lucas, a young boy, develops the power of PSI and uses it to fight against the evil Porky and his army of propaganda using jerks.  The story continues with Lucas and three other random beings working together to overcome obstacles as a team.  It’s a simple story where Lucas has to unleash the power of 7 needles which will slowly save the world, however his twin brother who had become evil is using those same 7 needles to destroy it.  It then becomes a race to see which sibling can unleash the 7th needle.  In the end, Lucas’s brother, Claus, commits suicide…  half of the needles were unleashed from him though and since he was the opposite of Lucas’s pure heartedness, half of what the world depends on is engulfed in darkness, meaning that unleashing the 7th needle might just destroy the world itself.  The game however, ends in a cliff hanger, but assures the gamer that the world was saved…  but with no visual evidence it’s possible that the world had actually ended and the Non playable characters are simply lying to the player himself to make him feel better.

All in all, it shows what life is capable of.  The person that takes care of us won’t always be there.  You have to grow up and do something with your life.  Humanity is capable of evil.  You have to make tough choices in your life (when Lucas had to battle Claus numerous times throughout the story) and finally…  what you think is right might actually give the opposite effect that you desire.

I believe that the world might be influenced by who believes in what and the more people that believes in something, only more people in the end will because of it.  However, I want to be like Lucas and do what I think is right, growing up more because of it.

This entry was posted in Assignments, Boal Readings, David Evangelista, Discussions. Bookmark the permalink.