Self-Analysis

Throughout this professional nursing course I have learned a great deal on critical topics of nursing. Some of these topics ranged from critical problems amongst nurses and their workplace, to learning about the different career paths along with the multitude of degrees within the nursing field.

In the field of nursing a quest for knowledge should be continuous. Nursing is a life long learning process. According to the American Nurses Association, as technology, nursing and medical practices continue to advance, so must the nurse and their knowledge(Quan, 2019). When maintaining competence and seeking greater educational opportunities, the nurse will be up to date on current practices and treatment. Nurses should incorporate the use of evidence based practice into their field of practice. Evidence based practice provides nurses and other members of the healthcare team with scientifically proven research which can be used to improve patient care, and outcomes. Along with evidence based practice, the nurse should also aim to receive higher education. This may include getting a masters, or doctoral degree. As a current undergraduate student working to earn my bachelors degree, I find that receiving higher education has strengthened my skills, and have helped me provide better care to my patients. As a future nurse leader, I believe aiming for higher degrees and maintaining competence within my field of practice with the use of evidence-based research should be mandatory. 

The courses offered in the baccalaureate program has provided me with the essential tools that I need to be successful in the future. I have become more confident in conducting research to critical problems in nursing as well as ways in which nurses can provide effective and quality care to patients. After I first graduated from the associates degree program, I was told that having a BSN would provide you with greater job opportunities. One thing that I feel like most people did not discuss was the greater knowledge on evidence-based practice, learning more about what unions are, advanced nursing practice degrees. In addition to that I have learned what it means to be a true leader and professional in nursing.

References

Quan, L. (2019). The ANA Code of Ethics. Retrieved from: https://www.nursingce.com/blog/continuing-nursing-education-and-ana-code-of-ethics.