Individual Strengths

Throughout the years, the nursing profession has drastically changed, nurses have taken on the role of leaders and educators. Nurses have become “knowledge workers”, which is a person whose job is to acquire, analyze, and use information (Gaberson& Langston, 2017). Nursing has surrounded its profession with evidence-based practice. This means that with the advancements of research, nurses are able to increase their competence and have positive effects on the quality of patient care. Nurses have taken on leadership roles, which has led to the improvement of providing quality patient care, and patient centered care. As nurses we are involved in all aspects of nursing care, and are on the front line of most emergencies.Thus, having that leadership role in making patient care decisions is essential. 

Education and training to new graduate nurses post-licensure should be implemented in more health care facilities(IOM report, 2011). As new graduate nurses transition from school to the real world of nursing, it can become difficult. The implementation of nurse residency programs will provide new graduate nurses with the opportunity to gain skills with the supervision of an experienced nurse. This in turn will lead to better patient outcomes, and confident nurses when practicing independently. 

As a new graduate nurse, I came into the nursing world with persistence, compassion, and the drive to gain more knowledge. With my experience I have gained individual strengths, these individual strengths consist of seeking greater knowledge by attending conferences. Reaching for higher education, by pursuing my nurse practitioner degree and license. In addition to those strengths, I am willing to learn new things, and assimilate to new environments. As a nurse goes through their nursing career, they gain unique individual strengths. 

References:

Gaberson, K. & Langston, N. (2017). Nursing as Knowledge Work: The Imperative for Lifelong Learning. AORN Journal, Vol 106, pp. 96-98

Institute of Medicine. (2011). The Future of Nursing: Leading change, advancing health. Retrieved from www.nap.edu/catalog.php?recordid=12956