Philosophy Statement

Nursing, as defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary is “the job of taking care of people who are sick, injured or old”. To me this is a very basic and fundamental depiction of nursing. I feel that it is more than a job or profession but rather an opportunity which someone chooses to accepts and act upon. This opportunity is to aid any individual and enable them to achieve optimum health. Also, caring for the sick, injured or old is just a small piece of what nursing is capable of. My philosophy of nursing centers around the concept that nursing is a utility which once learned can equip anyone with the ability to promote wellbeing. Anyone who understands the core ideas of nursing can use them as a gateway to build relationships and use those relationships to promote healthy lifestyles. Communication, compassion and respect are three values that I believe should be at the core of every nursing practice.

I strongly agree with the already held belief that nursing cares for patients using a holistic model. Holistic caring considers all aspects of a person’s life such as social, economic, environmental, physical and mental. After identification of such factors,  nurses can address the ones which are having negative impacts on someone’s life. However, holistic caring is only possible once a therapeutic rapport is developed. Developing such a relationship requires the use of good communication, a compassionate mind and a respectful approach. Good communication allows for the exchange of thoughts and feelings which are the foundations of building a relationship. Many times however, some ideas and beliefs held by patients may conflict with our own. In such cases it is important show respect and compassion. This allows for a trusting and therapeutic interaction to develop allowing nurses to incorporate the holistic approach to care.

Nursing is such a diverse profession which makes it possible to practice with different beliefs and approaches. However, I feel that the core ideas of communication, compassion and respect should be carried out across every nursing setting. A patient is the center of our focus during practice and it is important to encourage a optimum health and a positive outlook for them and their family.  I am continuously learning and improving my skills as a healthcare professional and I hope that in the future I can motivate a younger generation of nurses with the values and beliefs I cultivate during my practice.