Paula Scher

COMD 3503                                                                                                                 Nov 28, 2018

Prof. Marianna

Miguel Santos

Reflection 11

After learning about Paula Scher, I learn about the Russian constructivism style. The Russian constructivism had provided Scher inspiration for her typography meaning that she didn’t copy the early constructivist style. I love when she said, “I became the visual voice of the places I work” because her work became accepted. She obtained the label of the Postmodern graphic designer on the influences of Russian constructivist posters. In other words, she uses constructivist typography.

Also in the talk, Paula differentiates between being solemn and being serious. She said, “solemn design is often important and very effective design. Solemn design is also socially correct, and is accepted by appropriate audiences. It’s what right-thinking designers and all the clients are striving for.” By this I understand, that solemn design is more formal and dignified to describe what audiences want. On the other hand, Paula said “serious design is imperfect. It’s filled with the kind of craft laws that come from something being the first of its kind. Serious design is also often quite unsuccessful from the solemn point of view.” By this I understand, that serious design is hard to achieve because it demands extremely carefulness. From Paula, the lesson I learned is that there’s nothing to regret that we just need to push hard, invent, play, and enjoy what we are doing because even if we fail we’re growing.