Visual quote by Maribel Royer: “Art is not what you see, but what you make others see” -Edward Degas

Concept I – Visual/print quote

This time, I decided to use the original image I had sketched as I wasn’t able to apply the same fonts around the eye ball. It is actually showing the quote, Art is not what you see, but what you make others see” much more clearly. Out of my image-sketched ideas, I found this graphic to be the best of all that expresses the concept my selected artists have about arts. On this sketch, I used my own script fonts to make the quote easier to make up an eye shape so the viewer could have an easy interpretation about the message transmitted. I would still like to use Adobe Illustrator to trace a new image over my sketched one and apply a similar cursive font to make it more neat and colorful. Though, I want to maintain the natural values in it as it represents the impressionist color palette used by the main artist I am inspired by, Edward Degas.

Concept II – Visual/print quote

In this quote idea I tried to recreate the best idea to better represent my artist’ quote, “Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.” I used Helvetica typeface to make the quote easier to read for the viewer. Ā Even though, Edgar Degas is an impressionist artist, I wanted to add some secondary and brighter colors to this idea. Therefore, I highlighted letters in the word “ART” as I think both colors are easy to be noticed by most viewers. Also, I tried my best to keep my ideas more simple this time, in order to meet the “Print Quote” greeting card purpose while representing the artists I researched about agreement on the same concept about art.
Visual quote by Maribel Royer: “Art is not what you see, but what you make others see” __ Edward Degas

Concept II – Visual/print quote – First idea

In this design, I used some graphic images. I tried my best to make them look as similar to my original sketch as possible by using Adobe Illustrator and exporting it into Indesign. I wished I could use one of the large eye images I sketched as the image I used didn’t show a good resolution. I really would like to work more on the color resolution the same way it shows on my color sketches. I used these graphics to represent a visual illusion to transmit the idea the artist, Edgar Degas tries to express in his quote, “Art is not what you see, but you make others see.”
Visual quote by Maribel Royer – Art is not what you see, but what you make others see – Edgar Degas
Print-quote-1-Indesign-1Download

Concept III-Print quote – LastĀ 

In this concept, I tried to create a different idea using black and white, while applying the figure and ground expressive word design to give it a visual illusion for the viewer’s impression. I used ink on paper, but as I would still need to test whether I could obtain the same lines-effect on my typeface. I’d still like to develop it in Indesign, in order to make the letters look much more defined and apply the entire quote phrase. I know I can make a neater version of it.

Visual print quote by Maribel Royer: “Art is not what you see, but what you make others see” __ Edward Degas

Concept III -Print quote – First idea

In this quote concept I tried to better define the print concept by highlighting the “ART” word as its the main subject within my artist’s quote, “Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.” without loosing the rest of the text and keeping the rest of the text noticeable within the message as well. Edgar Degas was an impressionist artist, so I wanted to use colors within the same pallet. However, I decided to add secondary and tertiary colors to make the quote not only easier for the viewer to read, but to create some contrast between objects and make the ART word stand out. Therefore, I applied a cool color in the background and black color to the letters in “ART” as I think both colors are very contrasting and can be easily noticed by the viewer.

Print-quote-III-PDFDownload

Visual/print quotes sketched ideasĀ 

Maribel-R-Print-quote-project-1Download
Redesigned print quote sketched ideas
5th sketch

5th sketch

4th Sketch
3rd Sketch
2nd sketch for visual quote idea
Sketch 1 – Inspired by ā€˜The false mirrorā€™ and Edgar Degas quote
Keep moving forward quote – Martin Luther King

Quote and design inspiration:

My print quote design was inspired by two artists and a philosopher:Ā  The quote from the French artist perfectly summarizes one of the foundations of all great art, regardless of the medium. ā€œArt is not what you see, it’s what you make others seeā€ by Edgar Degas, French artist. After reading about the reality behind Degas ballerinas paintings,Ā  I agree with this statement, which switches things around nicely, so that instead of thinking only about our own point of view as designers and artists, we also look at things from the point of view of the audience. This statement is directed to the artist not to the viewer. If we replace ‘you’ with ‘the artist’ the statement becomes clear. ā€Art is not what the artist sees but what the artist makes others see.” In other words, an artist does not portray reality as he sees it, but how he wants others to see it. A very similar quote that inspired me as well is: ā€œItā€™s not what you look at that matters, itā€™s what you see.ā€ by Henry David Thoreau. This quote made me think about what we see, orĀ  usually just look. Itā€™s only a human thing to not see everything. There is too much to see and process, so our minds delete whatĀ  it believes to be unnecessary. Ā It means that observation is important to really appreciate things around us.Ā  I found an intersting art piece that made the connection with those two quotes it is called: ā€œThe False Mirrorā€ by Rene Magritte. As described by many, the artist places the viewer on the spot, caught between looking through and being watched by an eye that proves to be empty. At the same time he draws the viewer to take a deep look into the sky/universe to show what he tries to express through it.