From the Field

IMG_5017IMG_0603

As a class trip we went to the Society of Illustrators to equate the concepts of illustration, story, and themes in comics and other works of art to communication design.

~ Robyn Chapman

This picture is trying to communicate a comfortable place. To most people there is not a place for comfortable then one’s own bedroom. It brings up a feeling of that comfort along with some nostalgia. That aside this piece reminds me of my foundation drawing class. I can see the horizon line and the connecting point of this drawing.

IMG_0642IMG_0613IMG_0615IMG_0617

This is probably my favorite thing from the entire exhibit. It’s so bizarre but there’s somehow so much anybody can relate to. This piece of work is about a socially awkward girl going on a blind date seemingly for the first time. Her blind date ends up being a panda but she does not react like any other person would. That panda doesn’t even act like a panda. Instead they barrel through a very awkward blind date at a bar until the panda eventual leaves. That’s the short version but there are some very subtle undertones that reside with me as an awkward teenager myself (until June 4th).

On the top floor, right before the patio, was full of a bunch of  satirical historical and political art works. The were so satirical I’d describe most of  them as subtly blunt.

IMG_0626IMG_0627

Satire

IMG_0631IMG_0632

Absurdity

IMG_0620IMG_0621

Symbolism