Journal Blog #7 – A Mental Break

I know that this is mainly an internship blog but I think it’s important to talk about and take priority in one’s own mental health. As I’ve said before, this semester has been my most difficult so far. That combined with the pandemic completely altering life as I knew it affected my mental health immensely. I think it’s important to ground yourself and take a break to let your mind breathe every once in a while. Here are some things I do. 

First thing I do is close everything work related. (Save it first of course). Close the docs, the programs, your laptop, all of it. Then I lean back in my chair, close my eyes and take some deep breaths for a few minutes. 

Secondly I get up from my chair. Since the pandemic I find myself sitting down a lot more which is not doing any favors for my body. I walk around the house a little bit, stretch, maybe hang out with my cat for a bit. 

Then I grab a snack and a drink and refill my water bottle. I recommend a large metal water bottle so you don’t have to get up often and the water stays cold. 

I do other things but these are the three main steps of letting yourself mentally and physically recharge.