WEEK7. Design Intelligence Conference

Design Intelligence Conference 2017

Last on Saturday (04.01.2017), I went to the “Design Intelligence Conference 2017” organized by The new school.

name tag w/ schedule

It is a first time to attending design conference and I rush to register the conference. I don’t know what is going on in the conference. The first event was a panel discussion. During their discuss, I understand what was for by conversation with Ann who sits next to me. She is a student attending the new school with Strategic Design and management. She explained me about her major. The strategic Design and management is combined with design and business.

From the the new school website, they said that “business professionals wishing to address business challenges through design, design practitioners seeking to acquire expertise in business and leadership, and entrepreneurs looking to develop transformative business propositions for an evolving global economy.”

In the panel discussion, they emphasize design team work. I would like to put keywords which are CO-CREATION and VOLATITY.

Co-creation: people listen to each other.
Volatility: things you don’t know but keep process by co-creation

They said that when designers face to the problem, the company don’t need expertise. The designer could solve the problem by research. However, they need understanding. In teamwork, the designer should understand the perspective of all members. Bring information to open and make a space to understanding easy.

After the panel discussion, there is some presentations from alumni. They made own their company from their idea. The slide show was awesome. I learned presentation skill on slide design. Most of them have clean and unique design slide show. I especially impressed on “Matter-Mind Studio”. It is kind of an agency to help a company by created brand through their strategy. The matter-mind studio put emotion on their design. It was very impressed.

I met a student who presented on mater-in mind. ( I forgot her name) She is from Japanese and talked about the agency. She said it is not her own company and work as a team. She gave me the agency business card. It helps me understand about her agency process.

Even at that time weather was bad but many people participated the conference. I feel their passion. I never heard about strategic Design. I think currently major is not matter. Everyone could make their own way and own major.