Weeks 15, 16: Unit 3 Due 12/10

Cardinal In Snow Photograph by Lydia Holly

We are now in the home stretch for the fall semester. You should have a good sense of your course grade up to this point (please check the Gradebook). Speak with me after class about any questions or concerns. All final work for the class will be due by 12/19. This includes the final course reflection post on OpenLab, plus revisions to Units 1, 2, and 3.

In-Class

•  Read Annie Correal’s “Love and Black Lives, in Pictures Found on a Brooklyn Street.”
  • Listen to the  Podcast,  FOUND: “To My Darling Etta Mae
  • Discuss:
    • 1. What do you notice about the way Correal begins and ends her essay? What effect does this approach have on the reader?
    • 2. Choose 2 photos to discuss. Describe what is in the photograph, and explain what why you think it was included in the article (what ideas does it illustrate?).
    • 3.  How does the podcast differ from the NYT article?  What does the podcast genre offer us that the newspaper article does not/ what does the article offer us that the podcast does not?

Final Assignment:

1. Alioune Haydara

1. I notice that she begins her essay with a setting. For example, “One night six years ago, on a quiet side street in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, I came across a photo album that had been put out with the trash.” She is also communicating in first person. This lets us know that it is her story and about her. Putting the reader in a setting is also great so that we know where the story is coming from. She ends the essay in an appreciative way I think. Like when she says, “A few minutes, or a few hours, passed. Then, just as Etta Mae had walked past my house so many times before, I walked by hers, picked up her album and carried it home.” Overall I feel like her approach makes the reader feel emotional.

2. Two photos that got my attention were the first two pics. The first one got my attention because of how happy they were and also just how old the picture looks. It is a nice picture and it makes me wonder what type of camera was used or how photography worked back in the day. The second picture just shows me how much things innovated compared to when our ancestors were living. The photo album looks handmade and homemade. Nowadays photo albums are made in different material and looks a lot more different.

3. The podcast was different from the article because we got to hear her speak. We get more of her voice and some details that we didn’t get in the article. She also expresses herself more. In the article, I got a storytelling type of feeling. But I liked the article more because I got to see how the photo album looks and the pictures. In the podcast, I had to try to visualize what she was describing and talking about. Genre plays a role because there’s so much you can do with each genre. There are some things that you can do with one genre that you cant do with the other genre.

2. Alioune Haydara

* Almost forgot to do this. My bad.

3. Naomi

1. Correal starts by finding an album that had been put out with the trash and ends by how the album ended there. That approach hooks and grabs the reader’s attention until the end with the reader having a feeling of closure.

2. The 3rd and 9th photo in the article
    It has different photos but the writing on the photos leads me to think that it belongs to the album’s owner Ettae Mae. For me it was included in the article to describe how Ettae was at her younger age.
    The photo shows Ettae’s husband when he was enlisted in the military. That photo is used to describe and summarize his military life and achievement in the article.

3. The podcast is more detailed than the article but the article gives us more visualization which makes us more connected to the story.