WHAT TO DO NEXT: DUE BY 11pm FRIDAY OCT 23
WE HAVE COMPLETED UNIT ONE NOW. I emailed your papers with comments and grades.
YOUR EDUCATION NARRATIVE GRADE IS POSTED in Blackboard Grade Center.
UNIT TWO Goals for the week:
- Narrow down vague research topics into researchable questions
- Learn about the library and research
- Get research questions approved
The most important things about this unit:
- Be curious about your topic.
- Your question is researchable (not a yes or no question)
- You don’t already know the answer.
Due by 11pm FRIDAY OCT 23
1) READ: Read at least two (2) classmate posts from last week (either the Baldwin response or the Curiosity response). Do any of these spark your curiosity?
2) POST REPLIES ON BLACKBOARD DISCUSSION BOARD: Comment on at least two posts (from Baldwin or Curiosity discussion boards).
Help them figure out topics to research. If you see someone stuck, but they mention something they were curious about as a child, maybe you can help them find a topic. Or if they responded to something from Baldwin article that they feel they should’ve learned in high school, point to that as a starting point.
If something about their post makes YOU curious, let them know. And please! If you see someone without any comments, be generous and reply to them instead of to the person who already has a lot of replies.
3) WRITE: Please fill out the RESEARCH Form. It will take you 30-40 minutes. This will ask questions about your topic and ask you to do about 10 minutes of Internet research, so you should have some topic (even if it’s vague) in mind.
FORM: UNDER CONTENT IN BLACKBOARD (Research Form)
EMAIL COMPLETED FORM AS A DOC (no links, no pdfs)
- SEND to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You MUST write 32 in Subject Line of email
- Due by 11pm Fri Oct 23
4) POST: ON BLACKBOARD DISCUSSION BOARD (TOPIC) When you are finished with your form, post your proposed research question (the final question on form). If you’re trying to decide between two questions, post both! You MUST do the form first!
IMPORTANT NOTE: You MUST get your topic approved by me before going to THE NEXT STEP next week! This isn’t so I can tell you what is and isn’t worth knowing about. Everything is worth finding out more about! But some questions will not be the “right size.” We have a few weeks to work on this—so we don’t want something you could answer in 5 minutes or something too big. Keep in mind, you don’t have to finish answering your question—it’s okay if you just find out more and deepen your understanding.