Professors Montgomery and Leonard

Reflection #2- Film Series and Special Lecture

The film series and the special lecture that we attended had the same main focus: the people. The effects that people have on public decisions/issues sometimes are loud and bold because of the human instinct to protect that is theirs.

I really enjoyed the film series, and I related them mostly with my major that I am currently studying: Architecture. The relationship between public space and the human figure has been developing in a disproportional way. While the population growth rate increases, public space is being used to build more and more, and to profit to investors or developers. Our society is becoming less civil and this is affecting people to ignore different social issues, be quiet and even lose faith sometimes.

On the other hand, there are heroes just like Jane Jacobs and people from the African-American community that choose to speak up and do not let anybody decide about their present or their future. I find their acts very encouraging and insightful.

The public space in New York has been treated in some cases as a very important part of the urban planning and design, but there are a lot of other cases too, where public space is nonexistent. We should be a really sensitive generation towards public space and protect it for a better common future.

1. Megan A Gelin

I agree that the lack of public space isn’t even being used for the current struggling population, but for bringing in investors and businesspersons with money. All this economy sees is green and doesn’t consider what’s necessary for the needs of society.

2. Jcollado

I agreed with “people have on public decisions/issues sometimes are loud and bold because of the human instinct to protect that is theirs”. Since civilization’s creation, the decision of society is upon the civilians of the surrounding area, change is scary but its human nature to make decisions for better or worst.