During Week 10’s trip, we roamed Turtle Bay. We analyzed the Lever House, Seagram Building, Citicorp, Lipstick Building, Ford Foundation, and the United Nations Building. The Lever House had many characteristics. Everything down to the curtain wall was thought out. The thinking of the curtain wall greed, the material pallet. The use of Marble, granite the columns at the entrance were all intentional. The Courtyard space created a soft welcome space to the building. The opening of the building was part of the sidewalk — a good transition from the street to the entrance. The architectural traits of the area gave anyone who wanted to create anything a guide on how to build, blind in and stand out. The Seagram Building had a lot of the same features as the lever house. It’s located across from each other. I think the Seagrams building had to fit into the scenery and ways of architecture. But it also stood out uniquely.
The Seagrams black curtain wall grid system and the use of interior lighting make the image the building. It’s accommodated with a plaza, elongated with tall columns that elevate the entrance with two big fountains that attracts people. The Citicorp and the Lipstick Building weren’t as moving as I thought it would be. The Citicorp building, like the others we have seen, had tall columns that created the entrance flawlessly. It had it’s design flaws and leaked, but it still stands. The Lipstick building looks beautiful in a bird’s eye view. But the pedestrian view. I didn’t get to appreciate the style of the unique architecture.
The United Nations Building, to me, is one of the most important buildings in the world where Important people from all around the world come together. The design of the entrance, The main building, and the assembly hall were all thought out and created by amazing architects. The Ford Foundation was my favorite building out of all the trips that we’ve taken. The atrium space open to the public was a beautiful add on to the building. It opened it’s doors to the outside, and that’s one of the things that I love. It’s peaceful and grand. The fact that is it open to the public was such as surprise. Most things that are unique and peaceful in the city are usually private. Most of the characteristics that I noticed about the buildings on this trip were the broad entrances that correspond with Tall columns. Different curtain wall Grid system that makes each building recognizable.