Introduction

Welcome to my e-Portfolio!

My name is Michelle Loforte and I am a student of New York City College of Technology’s Clinical Dental Hygiene Program.

From a young age, I was very passionate about helping people, and always desired to have a career in health care. Shortly after high school, I began my collegiate studies at LIU Brooklyn, pursuing a degree in Pharmacy. After one semester, I was disappointed as I desired more clinical interaction, and felt unsatisfied in my studies. I desired more patient centered care,  and knew that I needed to make a change in my career choice. After finishing one semester at LIU Brooklyn, I came to New York City College of Technology because I heard of their Clinical Dental Hygiene Program, and was eager of what the future may hold for me. I was placed in a Health Science major until I had taken all my required courses, in order to apply for a spot in the program. After all of my required coursework was completed, I applied for a spot in the program, and was accepted!

After spending some time being a member of the Dental Hygiene program, I have grown to become extremely passionate and dedicated to the field of dentistry. Growing up, routine dental care wasn’t a priority in my household, and I generally never went to the dentist, unless I was in pain. As a result, I became insecure about the appearance of my teeth, and had many dental issues as a child. Now that I’m in the field, I can now understand why there is a lack of knowledge regarding dental care, which drives me to educate and motivate my own patients. Being in this program for the last 2 years, has fulfilled my goals of patient centered care, while opening my eyes to what my patients experience on a daily basis. Graduating with both my AAS in Dental Hygiene and AS in Health Science, has provided me with the foundational knowledge to succeed,  and the utmost desire to become a better clinician for my patients.