Leadership Experience

Management at Cold Stone Creamery

Unfortunately, I haven’t gotten the chance to experience a leadership role during my program at Disney but I do have a good understanding of leadership thanks to my leadership role at Cold Stone Creamery. I was always taught that a good leader is a leader with followers. Those who follows will pick someone that is responsible, one they know would take initiative in many things that needs to be done. Most important of all, a good leader will lead by example. A leader can’t delegate tasks they can’t complete to the staffs.

From my management experience at Cold Stone Creamery, I learn that there is a lot more then meets the eyes when it comes down to the duty of a manager. You would never understand how much they are really doing until you get the chance to do it yourself. When one is taking on a leadership role, you must pay very close attention to details and be able to analyze different situations. This is key to solving many staffs and guests issues. You could think of it as a chess game that you’re playing. With each issue I encounter, I try to analyze the characteristic of the person I’m dealing with so I know how I can go about a solution, like one would analyze the moves your opponent would make in a chess game. Next, is to develop a solution, what can you possibly say or do that would make the person feel like they are having their way when in reality you just got yours, like you would strategize in a game of chess.

Of course, there are many different ways one could choose to lead. As for myself, I’m still learning through trial and error. There will always be methods that other will find useful where as I may not. The only way to find out what style of leadership fits me most is through experience and this is just the beginning of the journey to figuring out he right path.