Internship #9: Balloon Dog Part 3

After finishing including the balloon dog into the photo with the baby my boss Brian asked for me to think of more for the dog to do. He really liked the design and style of the dog and wanted more, he even said it could be like the company mascot. So while I started coming up with ideas the zombie assignment came up so I set this project aside for a bit. I originally had the idea to have holiday versions of the dog on the balloons so I decided to draw this idea. I presented this to Brian but he said he didn’t want to got that far yet, we needed to have a fully thought out character.

concept3

So I worked on making a front and side view of the character, to make the dog walk. This is when I just started coming up with ideas little by little starting with the walking cycle. walking

Next I was asked to make the dog walk and lead into another animation. This is where the dog would then walk and turn them roll onto his belly. This was challenging to me since I had never done something like this. I took that entire week to sit down and draw how I would accomplish this. I had never animated a dog and don’t have one around to draw from. The main problem was figuring out how to turn the head and the solution I came up with pretty funny. I collect action figures and one or my figures was modeled after a raccoon character whose head shape was similar to what I wanted. So I took photos of the head used the photos as a guild for the turn action. After finishing I showed my boss what I had and he loved it, and asked me to think up a name for the dog.

acewalkandturn

The next day I was called for a private meeting with my boss, my job was about to get alot bigger…..