Internship #11: Ace&Me Part 2

We had a meeting with a potential programer, Joan he had recently moved to NY. Brian and I discussed with him what we wanted the app to be and how we thought it should look. I myself hadn’t really designed or had any experience with apps so Brian thought Joan would be able to design the app and program it for us. In the mean time I was working on the app logo and also asked to design different glasses for Ace to wear.

I decided to design only a few, 2 different styled sunglasses and 2 different styled reading glasses for the user to choose what they want Ace to wear, I was also planning out the next few animations I wanted to create but I was quickly interrupted before I could start that.

dogglasses

Brian and I were sent over e-mail the designs Joan had created for the app and I was told by Brian he didn’t look at them and wanted me to review it and come up with any changes I thought they should have. I looked and the designs sent and I didn’t like them.

I took one look and I just knew I didn’t like them, I’m not going to show them because they weren’t made by me and I don’t have permission to show them. But to me they didn’t look thought out and I had several issues with the designs. Firstly everything seemed rushed and the spacing of all the elements didn’t make sense to me. I thought the colors were too dark and didn’t go well with the tone of the app. Lastly the icon was redesigned and was simply my images with a different colored background there was nothing to the design I thought I couldn’t do better.

My boss was busy so I had plenty of time to gather my thoughts but I didn’t want to be harsh or too judgmental. When I finally sat down with Brian I opened up the designs and tried to say something  but was instantly stopped when my boss said, and I quote “this is shit” and I kind of agreed. We went over the images but Brian was already decided on the beginning that this was not the right guy for the job, so he saw what I had written down and said “you know what? why don’t you just do it?” and I said I’ve never really done it before and he said it was ok he trusts my judgement and that we’d improve it little by little. So I started sketching out the layout of the app.