Dream Career – Mai Esmail

My dream job is to have a company that would design or revive buildings, structures, and spaces. I want it to be fun, innovative, and environmentally friendly. Throughout my years at City Tech, the projects and classes that caught my attention were Design 5 because it interested me in the redesign of existing structures and the materials that you can apply to revive a building. The second class would be Building Performance which opened my knowledge about the environment and all the ways we can incorporate them into our designs. I feel like New York City is a place where you can find so many interesting buildings and spaces that truly can surprise you. It’s those hidden gems that you find that make me want to pursue this career.  

To get to this dream, I want to get my Master’s degree in Architecture. I feel like this is a step that would help me increase my knowledge and understand architecture even more. Then, I want to work in a company that revives buildings just to see the process and research that goes into doing so. Also, to learn more about how to maintain the building’s original identity while adding a bit of a modern touch to it. I also want to stay true to be environmentally friendly. This I would say is important to me just because we don’t know just how much our building could affect the environment. We can’t stop climate change, but we can slow it down using certain materials and adding green walls/roofs, etc. Climate change has a big impact and I feel as architects we must do our part to help slow it down. When it comes to the work environment, I would love to be working in an environment where we are supportive of one another and drive each other to do our best.   

When it comes to my personal life, I would genuinely love to stay in New York City. My husband, my mother, and my siblings are here. It’s the city that I have grown to know and love. I wouldn’t mind moving, but it would have to be in a similar environment like Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia. I know that this career would take a lot out of spending time with family and even having one someday. It got out of hand while getting my degree at City Tech. I wouldn’t see my family, friends, or significant other unless it was planned weeks before. Just out of those experiences, I would like to be able to balance out my career and my personal life. I have to say if Covid-19 didn’t happen to put our world on pause for a bit, then things would still be hectic for me. But they have been life-changing and managed to get me to slow down and appreciate the small things in life. I feel that this dream will be long and exhausting but to get to the point where I have my own company and can be my boss, would be worth the wait. 

3 thoughts on “Dream Career – Mai Esmail”

1. Hi Mai, I loved reading about your dream job, I particularly enjoyed the part of you being interested in how a building affects our environment. I was also wondering if you have and Idea what you wanted to study for your master’s Degree?

2. Hey Mai, I totally agree with you on how we cant stop climate change but we can slow it down. Us as future architects should always have that in mind and how important it is for our planet. Besides that I love that fact that you want to have your own company, that is one of my goals on the long run.

1. Hi Mai, I agree with the aspects of climate change on the environment as well as the need to aid in improving the way we use materials. As well as the impact that can cause, I liked when you said “We can’t stop climate change, but we can slow it down using certain materials and adding green walls/roofs, etc. Climate change has a big impact and I feel as architects we must do our part to help slow it down.” to me that was beautifully stated. We share similar goals, this gives me hope for a greener thieving world in the near future.