SINGH2_DREAM CAREER

My architectural passion sparked when I was in the fifth grade where an Architect was invited to our class for a few hours for a couple of weeks. I have a very distinct memory of a moment when he asked the class, “how long do you think this room is” and I immediately looked down at the floor tiles and started counting, “twenty-eight feet I said”, he was in shock that I used that method to answer the question. I cannot remember ever being taught that by anyone and so this invokes a feeling on me today that I was destined to be in this field of study. During the architects’ visit, we drew plans and elevations of a dog house and then we drew floor plans for our dream houses, at such a tender age I had very little knowledge of architecture and I was amazed that one day I can have this power to design my own home. That has been the dream ever since.

Throughout my undergraduate studies, I have learned that there is an extensive amount of possibilities in terms of where my architectural studies can take me. Although my initial dream involved me becoming a licensed architect that specializes in small scale residential buildings, I am always learning about the variety of fields to which my studies can be applied. I have recently developed a passion for architectural detailing and I feel like this may be a possible specialty filed in the overall architectural filed that I may be successful and pleased in.

Very recently a selected group of my peers and I visited a local firm in Brooklyn who established an all in house firm, by this I mean they are the owners, developers, real estate, and construction team. Ever since I started my studies and started learning that architects design for clients I soon became very frustrated with this and I would always complain to my peers and boldly and naively say I want to design for my self. Of course, the firm that I have mentioned above still do have clients except that the clients are the community residents. Having witnessed that what I was complaining about for years now is possible I have been extremely intrigued ever since and I am very much leaning towards this career path.