Discussions

Discussion 3

Explore the STEM Project item (under the menu in this course).

1- Read carefully all the information provided including the STEM application examples, the previous classes examples, the task, rubric, etc.

2-Watch videos and take short notes

3- Discuss here:

a- What was the most impressive thing that you learned, a project that you saw, or any other thing that you would like to share

b-Share anything that you may be planning to explore more about, and/or include in your STEM project. (Topic, application, video, picture, etc)

c) Pick the Topic that you will be working on your individual or group project

Discussion 2

Bring your own example of real-life applications using quadratic functions or equations.

Also, please create the groups for the STEM application Project

Discussion 1

Please navigate the site, read the information and discuss it here.

http://mathww.citytech.cuny.edu/webwork2/MAT1275-F21-Mingla-OL40/

Real-life applications of rational equations

Discussion: Where do you see the applications with rational equations in everyday life?

Use the link to the textbook for examples as a reference, and reply: https://openstax.org/books/intermediate-algebra-2e/pages/7-5-solve-applications-with-rational-equations

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Capture.png

46 thoughts on “Discussions”

1. Rational equations can be seen in every day life as they are used to solve a variety of problems that involve rates, times and work. Using rational expressions and equations can help you answer questions about how to combine workers or machines to complete a job on schedule.

2. In the real world, I see applications of rational equations when measuring distances, speed, time, pounds/weight, and even calculating temperatures. In nursing, nurses use rational equations to calculate the concentration of a drug in the bloodstream. Included in the textbook, rational equations are used in the medical field, to measure height, and city mapping as well.

3. I think that I could see it in real life is rational functions are used to model more complex equations in science and engineering, ex. In particular, they are quite good for describing distance-speed-time questions and modeling multi-person work problems.

4. I think that I could see it in real life is rational functions are used to model more complex equations in science and engineering, ex. In particular, they are quite good for describing distance-speed-time questions and modeling multi-person work problems.

5. I think Rational equations are used to solve many problems that involve rates, times, and work. For example, by using rational expressions and equations, we can calculate how long it will take to complete a job by combining workers or machines. Rotational equations are also used in the medical field to measure the height and concentration of particles in Blood etc.

6. The way the rational expression is present into a everyday life is with the involvement of time and work. In other words with the use of rational equations can help to determine a work schedule with workers that are assigned to the equipment also that’s part of a daily life is the involvement of distance .and electrical circuits.

7. I think rational equations can be useful to solve problems that involve rates, times and work. For example, solving problems using rational formulas can be helpful to calculate how long it will take different people working at different speeds to finish a task.

8. Discussion 2 –
    Real-life quadratic equations can be throwing a ball, shooting a cannon, missiles, or almost anything dealing with the speed of an object. One example is throwing a ball. Let’s say you throw a tennis ball straight up 5 meters above the ground, and it travels 16m/s. Gravity pulls the tennis ball down by approximately 5 meters per second squared, changing its speed and position. The tennis ball hitting the ground = height is zero. T being time. I think the quadratic equation will look like this: -5t^2 + 16t + 5 = 0.

9. The project I saw was the titled towers, getting tiled to stay longer so it won’t become stale from the ground, then collapse. I would like to explore more on sines and cosines, plus solving problems using the equation.

10. Discussion 2: Diving into a swimming pool is an example of a real life quadratic application. When diving in a pool, we can determine the lowest/highest points along with create an equation with the points.