Mia Calixto 

Digital Media Foundations 

There are a few artists I gain inspiration from; one of them is a graphic designer named Saul Bass. He is notable for his movie posters, typography, logos and much more. I am interested in artists who expand their work by experimenting with other mediums. I look up to him because he has a very funky style. It’s definitely not a basic one, which is something that catches my eye. I am into many different art forms; as in Illustration, filmmaking, poster design, ceramics, painting and graphic design. I want to experiment with everything and see what I am able to create. Saul Bass is similar in that way which makes me relate to him. One of my favorite parts of his work is his movie posters and his title sequence, it’s amazing how much a person can do with type and sound. He develops a little story in an introduction to a film. It’s very  fascinating how he created motion with typography, something that wasn’t done before.

Bass has a very minimal and unique style with his movie posters most directors were impressed so they had him design the title credits as well, that’s when he created a new trend. In an article I read by “99designs” they mention “Bass stepped up the sophistication of movie posters with his distinctive minimal style and he completely revolutionized the role of title credits in films. Traditionally, credits were static and drab. It was considered so unimportant, they would actually be projected onto the closed curtains which would only open for the first official scene of the movie” Bass was well aware how unimportant the title credits were to the audience watching, that encouraged him to reconstruct traditional credits into something greater. His well known signature is called “Kinetic type” he brings light towards typography and gives a cinematic experience. After his first title sequence which was for the film “The Man with the Golden Arm (1955)” The intro for the credits was absolutely stunning; it’s minimal but gazing towards the audience and brings attention to the director, actors and crew they can sometimes be forgotten. 

Another Title sequence I enjoyed watching was for the film “Goodfellas” in 1990, a film I have watched at least 4 times already, the introduction is so strong especially with the music, everytime a name appears for the producer, crew, director and cast there’s a car soundtrack in sync with the everyones name and that itself gives a very powerful exciting title sequence for a film that didn’t even began yet. The first song to appear in the intro is called “Rags to Riches” by Tony Bennett everything fits so effortlessly even though the process to achieve kinetic type back then was probably difficult compared to how easy it is to experiment on Adobe softwares nowadays. When I watched GoodFellas I had no idea who Saul Bass was, but when I watch a movie I like, I normally do a ton of research about the actors and directors. That’s how I came across Saul Bass. This title sequence is one of my favorites. In another article I read on GQ magazine by Bill Prince, released on May 8th 2020 states “An accomplished illustrator, designer, architect and visual consultant, today he’d be referred to as an “imagineer” or dubbed a “renaissance man”, but in truth was simply a remarkable polymath” Another part that caught my attention in this article  “ Bass considered good design was “Thinking made visual” – and Saul Bass was a very big thinker.” When a person is constantly hustling through life it amazes me, how one person can do so much? people are gifted with talent and they should take advantage of that.

Saul Bass was born on May 8th, 1920, Bronx, New York. Bass always had a creative soul, he enjoyed drawing as a kid. Bass attended the James Monroe High School, he graduated in 1936. Bass won a scholarship to study “layout and design for industry” which is basically the same label as “graphic design” but it had yet to be invented. Bass went on to study at Brooklyn College, when Bass started looking for work he would go all over Manhattan looking for commercial work at design studios. After some time he landed a job as an advertising designer then quit and moved to Los Angeles to work as an art director. In 1954 Bass had his big break when he was offered a job by the filmmaker Otto Preminger to design a poster. Otto Preminger was blown away by the design of  the film poster for “Carmen Jones’’ and that’s when Saul Bass started to design many posters for other directors. Saul Bass was always looking for work. He designed posters, logos and even directed his own films, Bass landed himself many jobs. 

Love in the Afternoon (1957), Vertigo (1958), The Shining (1980)

There are many achievements and a few awards Bass has received, he directed and wrote a short film called “Why Man Creates” in 1968 and won an “Academy Award for Best Documentary” presented by “Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science” Another award he won was called  “Lion of San Marco for Best Film about Adolescence” for his film “ The searching eye” in 1965. Bass had the pleasure of working with; director  Martin Scorsese, Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder and Otto Preminger. 

In Conclusion Saul bass has created consistent work over the years. He’s changed the way people see typography by bringing that element alive in films & posters. He had a simple idea to make typography move which worked perfectly to his advantage. It brought attention towards famous directors who saw his work and hired him, Bass was able to show what he was capable of as a designer. Bass is a huge inspiration for me. He has such a colorful spirit and his mind blows me away. Whenever I look at his work it encourages me to continue creating, I got into making short films in High School and now that I am more experienced with graphic design I would want to experiment and combine videos with photography, type and much more. Bass has always expanded his creativity and that’s something I am trying to achieve by myself.