Mentoring

As a student, I reaped the benefits of having strong and engaged mentors. Without this guidance, I would not be where I am today. I feel strongly that it is an honor and privlidge to guide students in achieving their potential. Toward this end:

• I served on Daniel Koch’s thesis committee. Daniel was a doctoral candidate in physics at the CUNY Graduate Center under the direction of Dr. Mark Hillery of the Graduate Center and Hunter College.
  • In summer 2018 with Prof. Andrew Parker, I mentored two City Tech computer science students Hashir Qureshi and Kayla Ford and a communications design student Lu Xue for a WeBWorK project funded by the City Tech Foundation.
  • I mentored a City Tech Math Education student, Farjana Shati (fall 2017/spring 2018) who served as the 2017/2018 CUNY Youth Ambassador (CYA) to the UN and participated in the CUNY/UNESCO Partnership Program.
  • In summer 2016, I mentored a City Tech Applied Math student, Jian Sun, who received funding to do research with me under the MSEIP collaborative grant with BMCC. Jian’s project was drawn from our text A Sampling of Remarkable Groups.

Impact:

• Daniel Koch passed his oral exam (3/15/2015) and defense (4/17/2018).
  • A new leaderboard feature in WeBWorK was created and is currently available to all City Tech WeBWorK sections and shared back to the international WeBWorK community via the Github. It is with pride I report that Hashir was hired by Amazon shortly after completing his work with us. Lue continues to work with Prof. Parker and myself through our Opening Gateways grant. See the final report
  • Farjana Shati attended the UN Youth General Assembly in 2018 and presented her experiences to the City Tech community. Farjana currently teaches as an adjunct professor at City Tech.
  • Jian Sun submitted a report of her findings and presented at an MSEIP conference on 8/22/2016. Jian currently teaches as an adjunct professor at City Tech.