Introduction

Hello, my name is Mariama Bereteh. Welcome to my eportfolio! I will be sharing with you my journey as a Dental Hygiene Student at New York City College of Technology for the past four years, two of which I’ve spent on pre-requisite course. It’s been a difficult but rewarding experience. My time at the College will be remembered for the rest of my life because I made long-lasting friendships with classmates of different nationalities and walks of life. I would not have come this far if it hadn’t been for supportive faculties who are incredibly supportive; for whom I am eternally grateful…

My decision to become a dental hygienist is motivated by a humanitarian conscience,  a genuine desire to assist people in improving their oral hygiene. This will eliminate unnecessary pain, discomfort, and trauma, which I experienced firsthand while serving as a Dental Assistant for many years. I would always tell my patients to “save your teeth,” rather than extracting them to fix an urgent problem (fear of and inability to pay for a root canal treatment), since an extraction is irreversible and can lead to potential problems…

Various activities are illustrated in papers and/or Case Studies, Articles, and Power Point Presentations in my ePortfolio. They covered a wide range of topics, some of which are assignments. The Case Studies focused on patient management in a dental environment. The majority of the articles and PowerPoint presentations focused on related topics.