COMD 1100 “Semester Artwork”

img_6317

This project was all about “Negative and Positive Space”, so I decided to do the opposite. We started off with picking something that represents nature and so I decided to go with a polar bear because I love bears. The project became interesting when we were told to work backwards. This negative and positive space project has a lot of balance and form to it. As you can see how the bear is structured it has a curve shape which adds balance to the artwork. When working backwards we had to deal with shapes and space, and as you can see it helped the project pop and look great !

What I learned when dealing with this project was that it’s best to start backwards rather than from the beginning to end. And also, that negative and positive space doesn’t necessarily have a specific structure, it could be done in many different forms. I faced major challenges when dealing with this project. First one was the drawing I’m not good at that so it was hard drawing a basic animal and it frustrated me the most. Secondly, was working backwards because I was not use to doing that I always learned how to start from the beginning to the end and give in a final result. But this was a learning experience for me and i enjoyed it !

img_6312

Line Design” project was the first project I ever did and I absolutely loved how it turned out. The goal was to make a abstract piece which is what I did. As you can see we were given to make our own pieces with the given shapes which were: lines, circles, squares and triangles. With those I created an abstract piece, also giving the image a little sense of negative and positive spacing. Every shape was given a name as well, with “Clustered” I was thinking of crowed places and how it made me feel as if I was in a box which is why I did that form. “Geometric Love” the idea I got from that one was relationships in general it’s always a cycle when one fails sometimes it becomes a continually thing sometimes it’s a good thing but it’s always a triangle. “90’s Swirl” it was because the circles made me think of the 90’s and the little toy we played back then. Last but not least “Bogus Motion” was just a random thing that came to mind, but I was also thinking of music waves but in lines.

I faced minor challenges when dealing with this piece because I already had an idea of the few things I wanted to put on he image. So I just sketched out those ideas and chose the best ones I believed were the best ones and places them on the paper. Another minor challenge of mine was how draw the audience attention I didn’t want them to just look at the image and pass by I wanted them to interpret what I was going for with this piece. I learned that these shapes can give any artist an abstract image.

img_6311

Flag Design” was my favorite ! I enjoyed dealing with this very last project so much. So my flag to me meant a lot of things. First starting out with the colors; the red and blue represents the color of my country which is Haiti and it meant a lot to me to put it as the color background because its how I born and raised, the colors are running through my blood daily it’s a big part of my life. Where as for the green to me it means life and everlasting. Moving along to the images, “the giant circle” represents black power, black empowerment, and black people. I put a circle for that because I felt as if that’s where society expects us to be placed; which is a giant bubble. The whole of the black community works hard and society expects us to just keep quiet about our success and shuts us down. The “upside down martini glass” represents time that we wasted and or the time that’s passed us by. Lastly, the “black silhouette lady” represents the fashion world; its know for its all black wardrobes in Manhattan. Its all black or go home !

What I learn from this project was a lot which was, that there are no right or wrong answers when creating your own piece. We all have different interpretations on what something so simple as a color means to us and our culture. I also learned that every interpretation coming together could create an attractive piece; and that negative and positive space could deal with colors too. Challenges I faced mainly had to deal with the paintings itself, I didn’t know what colors to go with first and when I started painting i was afraid that it’ll ruin the piece. Also, with the objects I was going to use was a bit confusing for me because I knew what they meant to me but I couldn’t display the message out to everyone else. So I went for more simple yet understandable images that I could explain.

img_6318

Dark and Light Colors” project was one of the easiest projects ever. As you can see this includes a lot of hue, tints and shades. And this gave the painting a sense of value and textures. Both sides dealt with primary and secondary colors which was to show each side with tints and shades giving the image a good look. This was also to see how the mixing of the colors could effect the image. 

Challenges i faced when doing this project were very minor which was trying to get the right shade and tint of color. How to structure the project overall. And also, the paint itself. I had to constantly start from scratch because the light paint would end up on the dark side and vise versa. But overall what I learned when doing this how to combine secondary, tertiary, and primary colors and how to separate the three. I enjoyed working with the paints and just the learning itself. I also learned that it’s more than just combining colors it’s also about being able to explain the idea behind the painting.