The midterm, which counts as both the cummulative test and Test 6, due to the disruption from Sandy will be held on 12/13 and on 12/17. Here is a Review Sheet for that test.
- Chapter 5: eigenvalues, eigenvectors, diagonlization,
- Chapter 6: dot product, orthogonality, orthogonal projection, and
- Chapter 7: orthogonal diagonalization and quadratic forms.
Test 4 will be held on Tuesday November 27th and on Wednesday November 28th. It will cover the following topics:
- Change of Basis (Section 4.7),
- Eigenvectors and Eigenvalues (Section 5.1),
- The Characteristic Equation (Section 5.2), and
- Diagonalization (Section 5.3).
Here is the review sheet.
Please keep in mind you will be free to use your calculator on this test, so in preparation you should practice using it intelligently.
Due to the closures thanks to Frankenstorm, please note the date changes below. They are subject to change, of course, in the case that City Tech remains closed on Thursday or later.
Please note that the Tuesday, Thursday class has the midterm on Thursday 11/8. On election day 11/6, there will be a review session.
Test 3 will be scheduled for 10/23 and
10/29 11/5. The topics to be covered are as follows:
- Matrix inverses (sections 2.2 and 2.3)
- Subspaces and vector spaces (sections 2.8 and 4.1)
- Null space and Column space (sections 2.8 and 4.2)
- A basis of a subspace (sections 2.8 and 4.3)
- Dimension and rank (section 2.9)
Here is a review sheet for Test 3.
The midterm will be on
10/30 11/8 and on 11/5 11/12. The topics covered will be cumulative and will also include:
- Determinants (Chapter 3 sections 1 and 2)
To recall the topics of Test 1, I have listed them below:
- Matrice (Section 2.1)
- Matrix operations +, *, T (Section 2.1)
- Vectors and vector operations (section 1.3)
- Linear combinations (sections 1.3, and 1.4)
- Linear independence (section 1.7)
- (reduced) row echelon form (section 1.2)
- Forward and backward elimination (section 1.2)
As promised there is a discussion topic for forming study groups in Linear Algebra. Please use this as the next test approaches.
The second test will be given on Thursday October 11th and Monday, October 15th. It will cover the following topics:
- Homogeneous systems of linear equations and the parametric vector form of solutions (Section 1.5),
- linear independence and Span (Sections 1.4 and 1.7),
- matrices as linear transformations (Section 1.8 and 1.9),
- invertibility of a matrix (Section 2.2, 2.3),
- partitioned matrices (Section 2.4), and
subspaces, and the null space and column space of a matrix. (Section 1.8, 1.9 and 2.8).
Some of this will be redundant with Test 1. This is intentional.
Also to help you prepare I have added additional material under Documents and Videos. Please make use of them.
NEW: Here are the tutoring schedules for help with math courses that can include Linear Algebra.
- Tutoring by math specialists: This is tutoring by student specialist. They will be able to help with Linear Algebra, using TI-84 calculators and, when in a computer lab, they can help with MATLAB.
- Help at Learning Center: This is the schedule of faculty and peer tutors at the learning center. Any faculty can help you with linear algebra. You can ask at the learning center for which peer tutors can do so. Please excuse the orientation of this document.
COMING SOON: Study group forum for MAT 2580 sections 6642 and 1594.
This is the website for Citytech’s Linear Algebra for the Fall semester of 2012.