Final Assignment

Final Assignment

In  the article “What data can’t do”, David Brooks  said that in the statistic world data have a lot information that it can’t prove or explain in this world. For example, he mention about an owner of bank who couldn’t decide whether he should remove is bank from Italy or not.  In the end the owner decided not to remove it because he wanted to gain the workers trust. According to David Brooks, we don’t need data to tell stories like writing a novel and the more data appears the harder it become to be able to find what we were really looking for. In some case the bigger a problem occurs the more troublesome  big data also become.  However in the second article, “The Philosophy of Data”, according to David Brooks,  data could also helps us explain some things we wrongly understood. Like the basketball, most basketball supporter thinks that when a player makes six or more consecutive shoots, he got the groove. However,  in statistics the data prove that the player  just had luck because the player who missed the six or more  consecutive shoots could also make shoot at the next  round. The same goes for politic election too. People think that the more money we use on our election the more votes we’ll get and that thought was also wrong. It was actually proven that it does not  affect the vote at all. Data could also help us characterized people personality such as being egocentric or not. Through all of these information, the one that attracted me the most was the part about how it is possible to indentify a person  personality base on data. I learn to it was possible  by reading someone face or by counting and observing the word said.

Describing someone behavior based on data seams to interest me the most because in Brooks article “The Philosophy of Data “, I was amazed that someone personality could be recognized based on data. The further I read his article the more curious I became.

I was fascinated when David Brooks mention being able to tell when someone is lying or not by detecting the number of word  said. Just by listening to the different kind of word and  how many time  the person says, we could tell what kind of person he or she is. In my opinion this is fascinating because knowing this could help the voter chose their candidate during political election

While going through my researches I found out that behavior could be distinguish from facial feature base on data. I also found that in some area women are better than men vise versa base on the data found from the facial signs. According  to M.Farouk Radwan who wrote the article “Face reading” say that we can judge someone personality from his or her facial feature by using data. For instant, base on data people who look alike are to likely have the same behavior just like babies who almost look alike. While ready the article “Personality traits and university program” written by Beauchamp, Kristy and McKelvie, Stuart J, I  found out that women have  higher score when it come to conscientiousness, industriousness and empathy but men have a higher score when it come to independence. So it means that women are more sensible than men.

According to Brook, behaviors could be distinguished based on data and from my research I learn that it was possible to do so. In his article it say that its possible tell someone personality by observing the different kind of word he or she says and how the person say it. Before reading the Brook’s articles I thought it was would be difficult to judge someone personality with data but now, it makes sense. Which make think over about the example of the bank owner. In my opinion, if David Brook or anyone who was sitting next  knowing how read facial feature could have guess what kind of conclusion the owner would made to his problem before he himself.  It makes  wonder if  that’s fortune teller use this strategies to be able to tell or guess someone future. I also wonder if statistics are also use in the game like wheel of fortune, jeopardy, wipeout, and more. Now that think about, statistics seem to be everywhere but we just don’t  notice it. In one word, data give us result in quantity and base on that we could make a conclusion.  For the basketball example, I admit that I also thought that when a player makes a certain numbers of shoot in row had the groove. With this I actually understood that it was only just luck, I’m of kind disappointed because it always made me think that the player was special or had some kind of superpower or something like that.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.