Bonanome | OL68 | Fall 2021

OpenLab Assignment #1: Introductions & Mathography

Your first OpenLab assignment is to introduce yourself to your classmates.  This assignment is due Wednesday, September 1st, at the start of class. Late submissions will receive partial credit.

Assignment. Add a comment in reply to this post introducing yourself to the class.  Your comment should be at least 2 paragraphs in length.  In the first paragraph, introduce yourself in whatever way you wish. You could include your academic interests, why you chose your major, what you enjoy reading, listening to, watching, and doing in your spare time, or anything else you want to share (include your pronouns, if you wish).  In the second paragraph, choose ONE of the following two topics and write a response. Don’t forget to tell us which topic you chose.

Topics (choose ONE).

1. Was math ever your favorite subject? If so, when was it? What about math made it your favorite? If math has never been your favorite subject, what about it do you not like?
  2. Sometimes people can recognize a time when their opinion of math dramatically changed either for the better or the worse. Tell us about it.

Extra Credit. Get to know your classmates! For extra credit, write a response to one of your classmates’ comments. Do you feel the same? Did you learn anything? Do you have any advice? Be kind.

1. Hector Navarro Lopez

Hello, my name is Hector,
    I am currently majoring in computer systems since I like computers. In my spare time like to tinker with my computer and play video games. I like to watch anime shows like Dragon Ball Z since I grew up with it ever since I was little.

I went with whether math was ever my favorite subject, well I am terrible at math. So naturally, it will be my least favorite subject since I am terrible at remembering math formulas. I am hoping this semester’s math will be easier to manage.

• Annie Huang

I really like to watch anime too! My favorite anime series is One Piece, but most people wouldn’t consider watching it because it is a really long anime :).

• Abeha

I’ve recently started watching anime and Sailor Moon is one of my favorite shows, it makes me very nostalgic.

• Gowharah Ahmed

Hi Abeha! I watched that when I was younger. I never finished it and now I’m thinking about binge watching it again thanks to you!

• Umut Tashtanbaeva

Hi Hector, I like watching anime too! I can relate to growing up with an anime, but my childhood anime was Naruto, and the favorite anime so far would be fullmetal alchemist.

2. Trinity Miller

Hi, My name is Trevino (He/Him) and I’m an incoming freshman majoring in computer information systems. From a young age, I was interested in computers and how they work due to my fascination with video games. Now while I no longer want to be a game designer because I’m not the best at drawing, I do enjoy coding, and I’m working hard to become a software developer and maybe be a part of the team that codes the next greatest game. Earlier this summer I had the pleasure of learning how to build computers and built 2, one for myself and my friend. Lastly, I enjoy listening to music a lot and my top 5 artists right now are, Tyler the creator, Bas, Tobe Nwigwe, Noname, and JID.

Math was my favorite subject up until my junior year of high school. I loved math because of the satisfying feeling you get when you solve a really challenging problem. It was either that or the moment of realization you get when you see what the answer is after trying for so long. That joy ended junior year though when I got into AP Calculus AB and long story short that class made me feel dumb. They started adding different laws and theories into math and I was not ready for it. I didn’t even bother taking the exam at the end of the year. Hopefully, I will have a better experience in this calc class though :).

• Ibrahim S

Hello, my name is Ibrahim he/him and I am a new freshman and my major is computer systems. I choose this major because I’ve always been a big fan of people that do coding and programming. It was the most coolest thing I have watched them do. Now here I am trying to and hoping to learn coding, hacking and programming.

Math was never my favorite subject, most times it would be because I lose focus of time and get off track when I can’t figure out a equation either it’s to confusing or I need it to be explained more.But there those times where I like math because if feels easy and i can memorize codes and by that I mean numbers.one thing I love about math is when the problem is solved and I solve it all by myself that feeling of success is my favorite.one thing that I don’t like about it is super long equations with different things you have to use to get to your answers I find it challenging most times.

• Katelyn Ramirez

Some of the artists that you’ve mentioned I’ve never heard of. I am going to go check them out because I love finding new artists to listen to. Thanks for sharing!!

3. Annie Huang

Hi fellow classmates, my name is Annie Huang and I graduated from Midwood High School. I’m currently majoring in computer system technology because I was interested in computers and programming. I like to game on my free time, but I don’t play a large variety of games. I really like Sir Author Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes series, however, I wasn’t able to finish all the novels because I couldn’t find the next book in the library. I also like to watch anime, my favorite anime is “One Piece”. “One Piece” is a really long anime series, however, it has a really good storyline and a lot of character development going on. This made it a really good anime so I really recommend you guys watching it (if you’re interested).

Math and science were my favorite subjects at school. I’ve liked math ever since I was in elementary school. Unlike literature which requires you to find out the deeper meaning of a certain record, math is a subject where you apply what you learned in order to solve a specific problem. This made math a lot more interesting because you get to do the process of solving yourself. I’ve never been good at literature so that might also be one of the reasons why math is my favorite subject.

4. Katelyn Ramirez

Hi, my name is Katelyn and I am majoring in Radiology. As a child, I’ve always been passionate about the medical field and doing what I can to help others. Radiology seemed like the perfect fit for me. In my spare time, I like to hang out with friends or just chill at home and watch tv. I also like to play the guitar every now and then. I listen to various types of genres of music and I love finding new artists to listen to. I went to visit my cousin over the summer and we were able to play some basketball and I was finally able to make my first 3 pointer. That was a huge goal of mine and I finally did it which I am super excited about.

8th grade was the only time I truly enjoyed math. My teacher always explained everything so well. He tried his best to make the class fun and even included games. Unfortunately, after that class, everything went downhill and I’ve been struggling with math ever since. Just the thought of math scares me. However, I’m hoping that this class will be different. I am hoping this class will change my perspective and help me enjoy math again.

• Trevino Miller

I like how at a certain point we both had an immense joy for math and then one day it all just changed lol, definitely hoping for a better experience as well. Also, drop some of your favourite songs/ artists !!

• Katelyn Ramirez

Lol yes, that is so true. To be honest, I don’t have a favorite song/artist at the moment, I like too many lol. It would be too hard to name a few. But I do listen to a lot of different genres such as r&b, pop, Spanish music, rap, a little bit of country, a little bit of opera-like Il Volo, and other genres.

5. Abeha

Hello, my name is Abeha and I am majoring in computer informational systems. The reason I chose this major is because during my senior year I took a computer science class and really enjoyed learning how to code. None of the other subjects I studied in school engaged me as much so I figured I would study it in college too. Recently in my free time I’ve been watching popular and classic movies and shows because I feel like I’ve been living under a rock when it comes to cinema. I just finished watching Parasyte and the Robocop movies and I enjoyed them a lot.
    A time when my opinion of math changed dramatically for the better was my senior year of high school. I decided to take calculus to help prepare myself for college. My teacher taught in a way that made it much much easier for me to follow along compared to before. Before I thought math was really frustrating and I struggled understanding a lot of basic concepts. After I was more eager to learn it and understood those basic concepts better.

• Arlene Perez

It’s interesting to hear how a teacher was able to change your opinion dramatically on Calculus. I find that sometimes it’s hard to find a teacher that can explain things clearly.

6. Randy Abundiz-Jimenez

Hello, my name is Randy and I’m an aspiring architect. More about me is that I am a relaxed person but at times love to be moving around. What I mean is that I don’t like to stay in one place the whole time. I love spending time out in nature. In my spare time I draw, I watch anime and am trying to catch up to one piece episodes, I play soccer and used to play for ny villareal fc bolanos team. I really am a chill back cool guy.
    Math for me is some what simple. i don’t hate it of love it, it’s just math. I loved math when i was younger but now I’m just okay with math. I have found it much easier for some reasons some lessons and others are just confusing.

• Juan Giraldo

I also played for Bolanos and won 3 tournaments with them. Back in 2013 to 2015.

7. Michelle

Hello everyone. My name is Michelle and I am trying to major in nursing. The reason why I chose to try and major in nursing is because I think it’s a very interesting profession to go in. Depending on what type of nursing you do, because there are a lot of specialties, I think it will be challenging and very helpful to many people. I’m actually not in New York. I won’t be back till September so if u see that I’m always disconnecting in class it’s because the wifi sucks over here and sometimes the electricity shuts off. Sorry in advance and I’ll try my best to keep up.

I chose topic number 2. Math was my favorite subject up until finishing elementary school. Reason being that I used to take ESL and they almost always took me away during math class. Over time, the class would know all these new topics and move forward meanwhile I could not because I hadn’t even properly learned it. When I’d come back they would just move forward and not go over it with us. It’s like they were just expecting us to know it.

• Ana Perez

Hi Michelle, and wow my older sister is into nursing she actually is a nurse assistant in Longisland and going back to school to become a certified nurse. And oh wow, that was terrible timing for them to take you out for ESL during math. The class was progressing without you and expecting you to know it. They happened to me in a somewhat similar situation where I missed out on class for some time because I ended up in the hospital and when I came back they just expected me to know everything I missed and keep up. We are here now and we are all going to work together and pass this class. :]

8. Juan Giraldo

Hey, Im Juan and I am majoring in Computer Science. I chose this major because it was the one that caught my attention. Really like how computers, codes, and programs impact the world we live in. I also chose this major due to the fact that technology is the future. We can now see self-driving cars which is in part a result of computer programming so I can’t imagine what technology and programming will be capable of in the next 10-15 years. I enjoy my free time playing and watching Soccer as well as Competitive Call Of Duty (CDL).

Math has been a subject I have always liked because I don’t see it as a complicated subject. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying that it’s easy, there are things I get stuck on but that’s on me for not putting time and dedication into it. As obvious as it sounds, I have noticed that math is just rules and formulas you have to follow, and if you follow them then you’re going to do well on it as long as you’re dedicated like I said.

9. Anthony Pantaleon

Greetings, my name is Anthony and I am majoring in civil engineering. I chose this major because I want a ideal job that will give me the option of working both outside on the field and in the office when necessary. Originally, I was majoring in mechanical engineering but I decided it wasn’t really my passion which made me change my major. Some of the stuff I really like to watch are short documentaries about actual life situations that have occurred around the globe from this channel called Vice on Youtube. On my spare time I go out and chill with friends and enjoy life.
    Although I don’t particularly like or dislike Math, I do like that it challenges my brain sometimes. It keeps me on my toes and it helps me learn new things. Almost everything we do involves math in some way, so I am always willing to learn.

10. YonghengHuang

Hello, everyone my name is Yongheng Huang. My hobbies are vidoe games and music. My major is computer science the reason i pick that because i want to have more touch with computer.
    I was very like math when i just touch “x”. I was feel about to solve the “x” is very cool. But math is become hard and hard and now i will think Do I need to use that deep in math?

11. abdullah sarfraz

Hello everyone my name is Abdullah Sarfraz I am in my 2nd year of college.I am majoring in accounting. I choose this major because most of my family graduated college with a accounting degree and have good jobs. I just looked up to my siblings and followed there path. I recently started going outside and spend time with my family and do fun activities with them like going to the movies. I also love playing basketball with my friends to get my mind off things and just having a fun time
    topic #1
    Math is one of my favorite subjects I like to be challenged with hard questions and focusing on trying to solve it. my freshman year was when I started to like math because of my teacher she would explain everything until everyone understood it.people would say math is hard but most of it is just rules and formulas once you have them remembered math will be easy

12. hamdan

Hello my name is hamdan siddiqee and my major is computer system technology and i pick this major is because ever since i was little i always loved technology and wanted to learn so much more and i even built a gaming computer by myself watching youtube video when i was 14 years old. after i finish college i am planning to get a job as a IT because day by day everything we do is about technology and more jobs are opening up.
    Math used to be my favorite subject when i was in 4th grade because how easy it used to be but as i went each grade higher it just became harder and harder for me to understand and i started to lose interest even though i try so hard to understand. but sometimes when i actually try really hard i actually do well in quiz and test.

13. Arlene Perez

My name is Arlene Perez, I recently returned from serving eight years in the US Navy. This is my third semester at City Tech and my major is Electrical Engineering. My current favorite hobbies are working out and going to the beach with my dog, even during the cold weather. I enjoy reading mystery novels, thrillers, autobiographies and informational texts. I enjoy watching the shows Billions on Showtime and The Blacklist on Netflix.
    I chose topic one and I can say Math was not always my favorite subject while attending school. Even though I preferred History, I was good at it. This led me into obtaining an electrical background in the military and now pursuing an engineering degree. What I do not like about Math is having to dedicate a lot of time to solving one problem or equation.

14. Djeneba Fofana

Hello, my name is Djeneba Fofana (the D is silent). I graduated from KAPPA International HS and I am currently trying to get into the nursing program. my hobbies are reading, I read a lot of actual books but mainly web novels, and webcomics, I mostly read the dramatic stuff it can be any genre except non-fiction cause those are usually boring to me(if you guys have any suggestions

15. Umut Tashtanbaeva

Hello everyone, my name is Umut Tashtanbaeva (she/her). My major is “computer system information” and I took this major because during high school I joined computer science internship, and since then I got really interested in it. My favorite things to do are watching movies/tv shows, reading manga/webcomics and riding my bike.

Currently math is not my favorite subject to study (studying is not my thing in general tbh) but it sure used to be my favorite until junior high, when it stated to get harder and harder. I liked the fact that I understood math and could help out my friends if they needed it, but those days no more, cause now I’m the one who needs the help. Math gets harder and harder so does my life with it, so therefore, it isn’t my favorite subject anymore. But I sure will do my best. ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔ

16. Shaqira Amin

Hi My name is Shaqira Amin. I was born and raised in South America precisely in the country Guyana. I moved to the U.S 2 years ago and attended high school for a year. I’m majoring in Accounting which have always been my choice as a child growing up. I didn’t how or what it was like but I had that in my head that I wanted to be an Accountant.

Growing up I always liked Math. I was always more focused on Math than any other subject and I always excelled in it. Gradually I began losing interest and my grades drop as a result. I’ve been trying my best to keep up with it and I’m still trying. I hope I regain that interest as before soon enough because I like Math.

17. Tasleema Mohamed

Hi, my name is Tasleema (Tas-lee-ma). I am incoming freshman majoring in Computer Information Systems. I picked this major because I not only wanted to learn more in this field but it also has courses in the field of business. Both paths interest me greatly as I want to become an entrepreneur in the technology field. I enjoy books based on science and deep space exploration. I also like reading manga I don’t have many hobbies but my favorite would most likely be sleeping

I have never liked math until sixth grade, when I moved to the US and began to thrive in the subject. I went from getting C’s and D’s to getting B’s and A’s. From that point on, my perspective has changed back and forth several times as I have progressed through school. While math classes are challenging in my old country, I do think that professor’s tend to explain better here. With that said, I am looking forward to expand my knowledge in this class,

18. Ana Perez

Hello everyone!
    My name is Ana Perez, pronouns are (she/her), my academic interests are history, photography, and more hands-on activities. I like to build things and put stuff together that why. I’m currently majoring in a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology and just started my senior year this fall. I didn’t really intend on choosing this major when I first started college I was more undecided because I wanted to go to the air force so my high school advisor thought to put me down for this since I like to build things. I didn’t have an idea or other option to change my major so I just stuck with this one. I enjoy reading comic books, mysteries, and such, but lately, I have been reading a lot of trading and markets and stuff like that. I listen to a lot of types and genres of music. I get a lot of my taste from my mom and dad so more 70s, 80s, and up like Michael Jackson and a bit of the 50s. I love action and marvel all the way. I love the MCU, big fan of it and Friends the tv show and the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. In my spare time, I do many things, I play with my pets, be outside with my dog, trading on my laptop, playing video games, watching tv, or outside with my RC cars. I have a big hobby for RC cars. I have a lot and I race and fix them and also paint or draw but I don’t do it as much as I used to. Once in a while thing. I love doing a lot, going on adventures and learning new things like surfing and new skills.

Math was never really my favorite subject and it was also the subject I wasn’t the most good at either. I don’t like having to memorize so many formulas and technics. I have a hard time remembering so many formulas and stuff like that sometimes and then I like to take my time with math for me to understand it clearly and I feel like math is like you have to catch on quick and is fast-paced. It is overwhelming for me sometimes and I get frustrated when I don’t get it. How ironic that I’m in an engineering major that is all about math Lol.

19. Hongyu Ren

Hello my is Hongyu Ren, I am majoring in construction management. I chose this major because I can learn a trade and get to see what the industries is like. I also like to work out and read fiction at my free time. I also began to go outside now to play basketball and in general being outside more. Not only that I am being more active than before since the pandemic hit.
    math was my favorite subject because math doesn’t use to need so many formula. Ever since sophomore year in high school were I begin to encounter more formulas that is when I start to not like math as much. When math is my favorite class is because I do very well in my class and It does not take much effort.

20. Shantane Joseph

Hi my name is Shantane Joseph. I am a mother of 4 with a degree in accounting. I have decided to change my career from accounting to a BS in Construction management. This is my third year here at city tech college. I am hoping to graduate by 2023.
    You can say I do enjoy some math not all math. During High School I enjoyed math it wasn’t until I was working in the real world is when I realize a lot of the math, I was taught I would never use. I used the basic mathematical functions like addition, subtraction, multiplication and division mostly. I realize now that some of the math I might not use in my accounting career maybe in needed in my construction management career. I hope.

21. Veronica

Hi, my name is Veronica(she/her) and I am a computer science major. At first, I didn’t know what I wanted to major in but thankfully I was in a coding program over the summer and I enjoyed it so much! In my free time, I like to watch movies, read books, sew. A book I’m reading at the moment is “The picture of Dorian Gray” so far I like it, I’m only on page 58 and I am hooked! I can’t wait to read how it ends.

I have a love and hate relationship with math. It does take time to learn and unfortunately, I’m the kind of person who gets frustrated when it doesn’t come easy. However, I do enjoy it when I am able to figure out the language, I love it when I am able to solve problems. I’m looking forward to this semester and hopefully, I don’t get frustrated when I get stuck on something!

• Gowharah Ahmed

Hi Veronica! I’m glad you found what you are passionate about. I agree with you about how math is a bit tricky. but when you actually get it, sometimes it gets fun. I hope this class doesn’t frustrate you.

• Gowharah Ahmed

Hi Veronica! i’m glad you found out are passionate about. I have a love hate relationship with math too, but when you finally get it, it becomes a lil fun. I hope this math class won’t frustrate you.

22. Tahmid

Hello, my name is Tahmid Topu, this is my 2nd year and my major is computer information systems. I choose this major because I’ve always been dreaming about that and i have been doing coding and programming in high school so much. Now since I am in college my focus is to finish college and graduate from computer system.trying to learn coding, hacking and programming a lot.
    my favorite subject was Math , because most of the times it would be because of losing focus of time and get off track when I can’t figure out a equation either it’s to confusing or I need it to be explained more, so it help me a lot to be on track back. But there some moments/time where I like math because it feel easy and i can memorize numbers. one thing I really love and help me lot about math is when the problem is solved and I solve it all by myself thats the best feeling of success. one thing that I don’t like about about math same time is when there is a long equation to do because it bother me a lot and so much work you have to show. but even though i love math a lot beside all other classes.

23. Frank Castillo

Hello, my name is Frank. My pronouns are he/him. My current major is computer science. The reason I chose this major is because I love the challenge that comes with it and I’ve always been fascinated by computers. When I have free time I’ll do something depending on how the weather is outside. When it’s raining I love to sit by the window and listen to the rain while I text my friends. When it’s hotter I love to travel and try knew things or just go to the pool and swim and relax. I love to watch anime. I’ve watched quite a few. I am currently watching Jojo and loving it.

Math has always been my favorite subject. I never stopped liking it. I find math very interesting. The thing about math that made it my favorite. I believe was that it was the subject I most excelled at in school. However, Math has been difficult sometimes for me. I wasn’t the best at it, but I would always try to learn more because I always just wanted to be done with the test and hear music.

24. Gowharah Ahmed

Hello, my name is Gowharah Ahmed. My pronouns are she/her. I am majoring in liberal arts but I’m planning to change it to dental hygiene. I love to draw and bake. I also love watching movies and shows. Currently I am watching a show on Netflix called “Sweet Tooth”. Its about a boy who is half deer and half human. I know that sounds funny but it is an enjoyable show.

Math is not my favorite subject. Sometimes, when I get to the topic I understand, it gets fun… but then it gets harder. I can memorize formulas and not understand what I’m memorizing and that is what I dislike about it.

25. kasey

Hi everyone! My name is Kasey Cambrelen. My pronouns are she/her. My major is construction management, and I chose it because I have always been into design and architecture. My dad is actually in the construction field, he’s a foreman, so I decided to go that route. I’m really into design and the arts, so on my free time I love to paint and create. I also love listening to music, some of my favorite artists are Frank Ocean, Kanye, and SZA.

There was a time in my life when math changed completely for me. In high school, I was a great student, I actually graduated as salutatorian. Math wasn’t the most enjoyable subject, but I was always great at it. However, this changed for the worst during my first semester in college. I was in City College and I was taking College Algebra. Now this was all things I learned before, so honestly it felt like review. And I hate to “blame” professors, but I genuinely felt as if the professor I had did not care about my class. Out of about 40 people in the class, only a handful passed the class. I passed by the skin of my teeth, and honestly, that particular class changed my whole outlook on math and made me very anxious for any math class after.