Assignment for 9/16
Be prepared to answer the following questions in class (blog posts welcome):
1. What is the treadmill of production theory and why is it important for environmental sociologists?
2. What is the theory of ecological modernization?
Reading assignmentfor 9/7:
I. Robert D.Atkinson and Darrene Hackler, Economic Doctrines and Approaches to Climate Change Policy, October 2010 and discuss/answer any two of the following questions on the Blog. (Read pages 1 – 10). Atkinson-etal-2010-econ-climate-change_theories
In the first 10 pages, the authors explain the various economic assumptions that lie behind competing climate change policies advocated by Neoclassical economists, Keynesian economists and Innovation Economists.
Then read the following pages from the article: 20 – 22; 25 – 29 and 30 – 31; Answer any two of the following four questions on the course blog.
- What is your understanding of the neoclassical perspective as presented by the authors? What are the assumptions about human economic behavior?
- What is your understanding of the neo-Keynesian perspective? How does it differ from the neoclassical perspective? What do neo-Keynesian economists view as the most important policies to address the challenges of climate change?
- What are the main problems the authors have with both the neoclassical and neo-Keynesian views about how to address the problem of climate change? What are the three arguments the authors cite as to why neither the neoclassical nor the neo-Keynesian views offer an suitable policy framework for addressing the climate challenges of the 21st century?
- The authors discuss what they call “Innovation Economics.” What do Atkinson and Hackler mean by innovation economics? Describe their perspective.