Mentor Text Analysis-Rehana Parvin

The Letter I read was Professor Wu’s “We Need to Call Out Anti-Asian Racism For What It Is Racism, Period.” This letter hooks the audience by letting people know what she has endured in her childhood because of her cultural background and when the pandemic arrived. She includes research about Donald Trump saying racist things calling the pandemic the “Chinese virus” or “Kung flu.” After her introduction, she goes on to tell her story about her childhood and what was like being the only kid in class. I notice she added 3 photos to her letter. In this letter, there are 10 paragraphs. According to the letter, the audience is the university community of NYCCT. The message of this letter is to show that we’re all human beings and there’s no need to get your anger out on other people because of their ethnic background. The Anti-Asian needs to be abolished and people should do something if they see someone getting hurt, stalked, and harassed. Honestly this letter is so much better because she adds so many details so I don’t really think I can emulate from this letter. What I will be avoiding is copying and pasting just to use it for my own letter.

4 thoughts on “Mentor Text Analysis-Rehana Parvin”

1. Rehana, after we talked, you’ll be looking at mentor texts for Letter. Right? Do your mentor text using my letter. Ok? Remember to use the Qs and analyze the STRUCTURE of my letter.

2. Honestly this letter is so much better because she adds so many details so I don’t really think I can emulate from this letter. — OR COURSE YOU CAN!

Rehana: In your letter you will definitely have a part where you give your own personal story about mental health and transitioning to college. However, be sure to focus on the details of your personal story that are connected to your RQ/your topic, just as I did in myletter. In other words I focused on events or memories of times that I felt prejudice directed at me for my Asian background and details of being verbally attacked as an Asian during the pandemic because that is my topic: Anti-Asian hostility in the pandemic.

You are doing better REhana — keep up the good work! Work with the tutors, ok?

Prof. Wu