RAB Source Entry 3-Devin Taylor

MLA Citation:

Shaid, Rebecca. “Teens Discuss Mental Health during Covid-19.” PBS, Public Broadcasting Service, 8 Jan. 2022, https://www.pbs.org/newshour/classroom/2020/10/teens-discuss-mental-health-during-covid-19/.

Main Idea:

How the pandemic has affected high school students

Summary:

In the video,”Teens Discuss Mental Health During Covid-19″,many students reported a huge increase in stress levels during the pandemic and found it difficult to cope. Those that went to in-person classes said “it was weird going to class with just six people. Always having a mask on made socializing with my friends so weird and frustrating.”It’s a constant struggle especially for high school seniors that are worrying about college admissions and prom and how things will look for them in the future. Irving Oliver, a sophomore at Legacy Early College Charter School, states the he is an auditory learner so staring at a screen all day is draining. Irving admits in the video that he can hardly pick up information from teachers because it’s harder to focus. A lot of support that was needed for students to do better on school assignments stressed them even more than what was already going on. Dealing with hormones, interacting with friends, finding a space to go to class, fear of missing out, the chaos of being home with no breaks.

Reflection:

The students in the video kept bringing it back to how isolated they felt and missing their friends. No matter how much they admitted to not liking school they always wanted to see their friends again. The irritability they felt from being home for school and not being able to go anywhere or really do anything.I can definitely understand where the students are coming from.In my psych class we recently talked about the importance of human interaction on the early brain stages all the way to adulthood. It makes me think more of how the pandemic really changed and kind of damaged society.

Rhetorical Analysis:

The genre of this video is to inform educators on the impact of the Coronavirus-19 on students. The added stress of confinement and isolation was damaging to the students. The tone is subjective. Multiple students were speaking on their experiences during the pandemic. This source is reliable because it’s a PBS source. Since the mid-2000s, Roper Opinion Research polls commissioned by PBS have consistently placed the service as the most-trusted national institution in the United States. A 2016–2017 study by Nielsen Media Research found 80% of all US television households view the network’s programs over the course of a year.

Notable Quotables:

“I’ve lost all sense of communication and interaction with my peers and it’s…it’s not been good.”

“I’m usually working with people and they’re telling me this is how you should do it and supporting me and now it’s kind of just me by myself working on an assignment that I have no clue about”