Malcom X Reading Response:

“I imagine that one of the biggest troubles with colleges is that there are too many distractions, too much panty-raiding, fraternities, and boola boola and all that” (last paragraph)

I had asked earlier why Malcom was against college? And this answered my question because he believes there’s many distractions outside the academic space. He had said he enjoys reading in his own isolated space rather than the library. So maybe a college setting wouldn’t be best fit for him. Unless he would commit to online learning, and I think he would do extremely well in a profession such as Political Science. 

“My homemade education gave me, with every additional book that I read a little bit more sensitivity to the deafness, dumbness, and blindness that was afflicting the black race in America” (second to last paragraph) 

Malcolm’s love for reading has brought him great knowledge on the racial issues in America towards Black people. That is why he’s known for being a great leader of the black power movement. Every book he read gave him more insight on what is causing these issues, and it allowed him to communicate with the black community on what they need to do to deal with these issues. Today, almost everyone is aware of the racial issues not only with people making discriminatory comments. But with even policemen attacking our fellow black folks. People defend them and say they are doing their job. This is an example of the blindness that is afflicting the black race in America. 

1 thought on “Malcom X Reading Response:”

1. (Late)

Please read the passage more carefully. He is not arguing against a college education. He is merely imagining that had he had the opportunity to get a college education, he may have been distracted and squandered this opportunity whereas in the prison he had nothing else to do but EDUCATE HIMSELF.

You write: Today, almost everyone is aware of the racial issues not only with people making discriminatory comments. But with even policemen attacking our fellow black folks. People defend them and say they are doing their job. This is an example of the blindness that is afflicting the black race in America.

In this HW task I am NOT asking you to speak of today, but to focus on the writer’s words and to explain his meaning. He does NOT envision the future of America with the issues that black people today face.

You can work more on reading carefully both the text and MY INSTRUCTIONS. This is one of my goals as a teacher to make sure students learn the important of reading carefully!

Where is picture of annotations? This was part of the HW — again READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.