Reading Response FDouglass-Karem Ali

When Douglass spoke about how “learning to read had been a curse rather than a blessing” (paragraph 5) he meant that when he learned to read, he read books that he wish he hadn’t and found out things he wish he was ignorant of. The more Douglass read the “Columbian Orator” he began to detest his enslavers and hate them. He thought of his enslavers as successful robbers who had left their homes and gone to Africa to take people from their residences. When Douglass brought up “Freedom… was ever present to torment me” (paragraph 5) he means that being free feels like torture for him. The downside of Douglass acquiring this new skill of being literate is now he is informed about the way his people were being mistreated.

The quote that I thought was significant and had a deeper meaning was when Douglass said “The silver trump of freedom had roused my soul to eternal wakefulness” (Paragraph 5). Ever since Douglass gained freedom, it has begun to show itself everywhere. The acknowledgment of this freedom haunts him due to him now obtaining it. Hearing, seeing & feeling this new force of freedom makes him reflect on his past which involved him being owned. The adjustment to Douglass’s newly acquired freedom didn’t cleanse him from his past, instead, he still feels miserable about the life he used to live.

2 thoughts on “Reading Response FDouglass-Karem Ali”

1. Hey Karem, I really like the quote you chose and how you dissected it. I agree with you on how Douglass finding freedom only made him think more on his past and how he could make things different.

2. Very good answer! You have done a good job of reading carefully.

One thing to answer more clearly: Downside for Douglass of learning to read is _______?