Writing Task Mentor Quote — Lisa

“Lisa, you are a very good student. You can study anything–even if you don’t like it.”

I will always remember these words spoken to me by my father.  These words were meant as a compliment but felt as a mixture of insult and motivation.  In my mind the resulting thought was:  My brothers were smarter than me, but I was a just good at studying.  Today kids would call me a “grind.” In fact I proved such a good student that I could get myself all the way to medical school – through premed analytical chemistry which I hated, through organic chemistry lab which put holes in my blue jeans, through the MCATS which I toiled for a whole summer in preparation — and arrived at age 23 as a first year med school student before I realized this path wasn’t what I wanted, and that I didn’t know what I wanted in life.  I dropped out of medical school.  I felt lost, groundless, like a failure, and depressed.

IDEAS TO DEVELOP INTO TWO FULL PARAGRAPHS

I will always remember these words spoken to me by my father. [when? what age? timeline needed]  These words were meant as a compliment but felt as a mixture of insult and motivation.  In my mind the resulting thought was:  My brothers were smarter than me, but I was a just good at studying.  [develop more by describing, detailing, list the way I studied] Today kids would call me a “grind.” [new paragraph?] In fact I proved such a good student that I could get myself all the way to medical school [yeah need to set the first sentences back in time] – through premed analytical chemistry which I hated, through organic chemistry lab which put holes in my blue jeans, through the MCATS which I toiled for a whole summer in preparation — and arrived at age 23 as a first year med school student before I realized this path wasn’t what I wanted, and that I didn’t know what I wanted in life.  I dropped out of medical school.  I felt lost, groundless, like a failure, and depressed.