My Name Intro – Jemel Thomas

Hi, my name is Jemel Thomas. I’m an 18-year-old college freshman that grew up in Brooklyn, New York. During my time, I had some struggles and had to live in the Bronx shelters for a while, but was able to make it through and found an alright place in Brownsville to live in. I’m a Grenadian/African American man, but I only visited Grenada about 3 times for a total of 3 months. It was fun meeting some family and it turns out my cousins had some similar hobbies like mine, such as playing instruments and gaming. The type of music I like is R&B/Soul, but I also listen to Rap, Hip-Hip, and some Alternative. Some of my favorite artist at the moment would include Giveon, Steve Lacy, and Summer Walker.

Outside of things I personally like, let’s get into what I do. I currently work at 2 different places, one being Mc. Donald’s, and the other being East New York Farms which is a farm dedicated to bringing healthy organic foods to the area at an affordable cost. I shouldn’t have to explain too much about Mc. Donald’s as everyone should have gone there at least 10 times already, but it’s surprisingly a really demanding job where I meet some of the most disrespectful customers in unreal amounts. Also, fights break out sometimes and some drama here and there. More about East New York Farms, this is the first place I truly started working, and I gained great friends here that inspires me to do better in life. I’m dedicated to my work and have many goals that I must reach.

2 thoughts on “My Name Intro – Jemel Thomas”

1. You are my first student from Grenada. I had to look it up. So Grenada is in the Caribbean. Do they speak English there, or do you speak another language there with relatives. zDoes your family cook traditional foods from Grenada and what are these dishes? I love trying foods from different cultures, so I’d love to know about Grenadian foods.

Thank you about sharing the struggles of your early life. This tells me that you are resilient, like Douglass.

Good details and descriptions of your jobs. Dealing with customers can teach you how to negotiate while keeping calm; this is a skill you can take with you. So perhaps there are some silver linings to your McD’s job. Working on a farm sounds very interesting. Not too many city people get to experience that! Are you learning to garden? Does the farm allow you to take home some of the produce? What interesting things you have learned about farming?

Need a picture. That’s part of the assignment from the instructions!