My Philosophy of Nursing

I chose nursing as a profession because I want to provide emotional support and care for individuals going through an illness. Nursing is a profession that involves compassion, caring, and understanding. It is a profession that allows me to grow as an individual and gives me the opportunity to make a difference in an individual’s life. As a nurse, my mission is to provide culturally competent care that is focused on the individual’s needs.

My philosophy is to provide quality care to all individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, and/or financial status. I commit to providing individuals with integral care that is evidenced based. I vow to demonstrate professional competence throughout my career. I will devote my time to improving and protecting the health of individuals. I will make sure to advocate for my patient to ensure he/she is receiving the most efficient care. I will respect a patient’s privacy and maintain confidentiality.

Watson’s Theory of Human Caring influences my moral and ethical values as a nurse. Watson’s theory focuses on “promoting health, preventing illness, caring for the sick, and restoring health” (Petiprin, 2016). Throughout my nursing career, I will follow Watson’s theory by promoting health and individual growth. I will acknowledge the feelings of patients and communicate in a caring manner. I will be nonjudgmental and accept individuals for who they are.

My values and beliefs include showing empathy to patients, providing care that is safe, and providing patients with information that is relevant to the patient’s needs. I hold true to the belief that I will treat every individual equally and I will provide each individual with quality care. I will continue to grow as a nurse by learning from others and the experiences I encounter.