12 thoughts on “Reading 6 Reflections”

1. I found this one of the more interesting readings, especially the sections that spoke about flashing and insulation. I wasn’t 100% clear on reglets. I wondered if hay bale insulation is pretty much the same as the inside cavity insulation process described with plastic foam. I have heard a lot about how flat roofs get sealed to walls/ parapets but never really understood it before, now its clearer but now I’d like to actually see it in real life.

2. I found this topic very interesting for me because when I saw the facade of a building made out of brick I wouldn’t think how there is another layer that is being filled with insulation so that when cold and hot temperatures last longer periods of times the inside of the building would stay either warm of cold. I found very helpful information about how water gets out of the cavity walls through the weep holes and how mason makes sure to not fill it with mortar in order to not close these weep holes. this reading made me understand how masonry works a little better.

3. I never realized how many different types of ties are used in masonry construction. Furthermore, before now I had never paid attention to weep holes or even knew what their function was. The reading gives a good in depth description of the construction of masonry walls and the different components that make it up. I also found flashings very interesting, I never knew flashings were behind the first wythe of brick to assist with guiding water out of the building.

4. This reading opened my eyes on how masonry walls really work. Before I would walk pass a brick wall without thinking about how it works. I never knew there would be a cavity wall behind the actual wall and walls have weep holes which helps drain water out of the cavity walls. The reading covered different types of cavity walls too; I learned about how load bearing and non-load bearing walls work. I also learned about different types of ties and how to estimate sizes for different types of masonry column. The insulation part caught my eyes because I never thought buildings needed to drain water and other moistures and it helped me understand how different types on flashings works and the materials they are made out of.

5. The reading helped me with understanding the workings of masonry, insulation and the reasons/uses of weep holes. Before this reading I didn’t know how water or moisture in general drained out of a building, but reading about cavity walls and weep holes, I have a good grasp on the working of moisture removal. I also wasn’t aware there was a second layer filled with insulation to help maintain temperature inside a building.

6. This reading helped me understand how a masonry wall is constructed. The most interesting part was about the weep holes in masonry walls because I never knew that it has a functional use to help drain water out. Additionally, I learned that a building has a cavity wall, which interposes a hollow vertical space within the wall to intercept water.

7. This chapter has helped me with understanding the workings of masonry. The reading gives a good in depth description of the construction of masonry walls and the different components that make it up. I found the topic of flashing very interesting. I didn’t know that walls have technically a drainage system for water to prevent it from damaging the walls. This chapter also covered various different types of cavity walls too; about how load bearing and non-load bearing walls work. I didn’t know beforehand that there was different types of ties and how to estimate sizes for different types of masonry column.

8. Reading #6 broke-down what’s all about masonry walls. The different materials and what’s suitable for each structure. As a matter of fact it goes into depth about spanning systems and flashing and drainage. Which is what prevents moisture for mason walls. To sum up, this gave me a different view on the construction of masonry walls and what’s used to preserve these materials.

9. Chapter 9 of Reading #6 helped me to understand and appreciate the process of quarrying. I enjoyed reading about technologies which are used stone milling. The chapter 10 gave me a clear explanation of masonry walls organization. I finally understood the difference of composite, cavity, and bearing walls. I never thought about how many details have been taken in concern before wall erection. I didnt know before about weep holes and anchors, connection face wythe to the interior wall.

10. Reading 6 helped me understand what is behind the façade of a building and why things are placed there. I never understood what weeps holes were and why they were there until the reading explained it. Something that small like weep holes can be very use full for a building. It was vey interesting to see how flashing can be the guiding path for water, it get through and pushes it own and out though the weep holes. The physical model that you had brought into class was very helpful and helped me understand more of what the reading was talking about.

11. This reading helped me get a better understand of how masonry wall construction works. I learned that there are cavity walls placed in between the masonry walls, which help prevent water from going inside of the building. The weep holes kind of tag team with the cavity walls because as the water is being prevented from entering, the weep holes guide it back the exterior.

12. I agree with my classmates , it is very interesting how a cavity wall works preventing water to gets in but in case it penetrates with the help of the flashing it drains out through the weep holes. There’s not only flashing to keep the water out but flashing to prevent moisture to penetrate the building as well. Thermal insulation is a topic that is very interesting as well, how this work reducing the transmission of heat to the building.