34 thoughts on “Reading 1 Reflections”

1. Braulio Martinez Reflection

While going through the concept map, I realized the first three bubbles under architecture are the vitruvian triad. The vitruvian triad being venustas, firmitas and utilitas. It was a concept that I learned during my first year of architecture and I was told that my design always had to meet the requirements of the three. A building must have beauty but also serve a function and have a firmness to it.

I then kept going down the concept map to see space and it made me remember that architecture is crating space. It’s not just about building a structure, it’s about forming a space that can be used in everyday life. I will say I was a little intimidated when I saw the load bearing walls and point load bubble l, because I took a strength of materials class and I could never remember which formulas to use, and that always confused me.

2. When I looked at the diagram at first I stopped at space because, in my opinion, that is where architecture starts. Architecture is the designing of spaces for public or private use, occasionally, these spaces can be used for one function or multiple depending on the purpose. The majority of all spaces, if not all, are created with a program in mind. What I mean when I say a program is a reason why they get created, some examples of that are shelters, communities, relaxation, and the list goes on. After the purpose of the space is found then we can start looking at the materials that are going to be used depending on the structure. The materials make a big difference because if the space is going to be used as a shelter that means that it is going to need materials hard that are going to last longer and cover whatever is inside or under the structure but if we talk about relaxation sometimes the spaces can be left open and use materials more fragile as we see in parks and other public places.

Reymond Jimenez.
    Reflection.

3. Architecture is an idea that later becomes a special design or an art that makes space look more stand out and interesting. Architects are very open minded, that’s why they can see one thing differently, it either can be from a different perspective or from another point of view. Every single idea can make a house or a building more creative.
    Creativity is a huge role in architecture because you can build something that looks completely different from the material that you used to design that specific building. Additionally, architects use their knowledge in order to effectively use the space and distribute it as a client wants to. Also, they have to design building so it will be functional and useful.

4. Building Systems are broken down into 3 categories, Enclosure systems; which can be represented as the skin, Structural Systems; which can be represented as the bones, and Mechanical Systems; which can be represented as the organs. Breaking down these categories as if it was a human body helps get an idea of how each system would work. The enclosure system has to do with the outside of the building, such as the walls, windows, and roof. The structural system has to do with the columns, beams, and supports. The mechanical system has to do with all the heating, cooling and piping in the building, from top to bottom. Concrete, Steel, Wood, Brick, and Stone are different kinds of building materials that you must incorporate in creating a building/ or structure to durability and beauty.

5. The building systems are broken into 3 categories to describe the different methods for the various materials that are used for the design and construction of a building. You can define a system by the development and complexity it brings to multiple things for a common purpose. For example, The Structural System is considered a vertical extension to a structure. Columns, beams, and loadbearing walls fall into this category. The Enclosure System is the shell or cover of a building. This system ensures the protection from unpleasant weather year around. It helps gives a building the flow of natural light and air. The Mechanical System provides the most needed services in a building. In other words, it provides a dependant water supply, heat, and air-conditioning. All the necessary needs for building to be inhabitable. Stone is one of the many materials used to construct a structure. Stone can be used for multiple instances. Stone commonly used for wall panels, cornices, and flooring. Another highly used material is Masonry; a common brick generally for building purposes. This brick also has a face brick which is a special type of clay for facing a wall. Often made to have a wanted color and texture. Steel is another highly popular material. Steel is for light and heavy structural framing. It can be also used for windows, doors, and hardware. Steel brings high strength and stiffness to a structure. Concrete, on the other hand, is made by mixing cement with a handful of minerals to create almost any type of shape and texture for a building. Steel reinforcements are required to hold the concrete in place. In summary, the Building Systems is what defines designing and building a structure. Materials bring all of these systems together for a long-lasting structure.

6. I enjoyed seeing building systems neatly broken out into structural, enclosue & mechanical systems. When I read further into building materials I wondered what I would learn. Now I know concrete has 3 elements: cement, water and aggregate with an option of an admixture. Too much water weakens concrete while too little is difficult to work with. I learned that rebar stands for reinforcement bars. When I read on to masonry it filled in many questions I have had. There is building brick and face brick, even concrete brick which I was excited to know exsisted. I was wondering if concrete brick cost more or less comparatively to concrete blocks & clay bricks. It was interesting to learn the weather grading system of bricks and the many many types of concrete blocks available. The rating system of steel was also interesting to learn about and explained tungsten watches, now I know why they are ‘a thing’. Stone reminded me of earth science and how all the various stones used in building are either Igneous, Metamorphic or Sedimentary. Lastly, wood was most informative as to what the stamping on them means. I enjoyed knowing that if I want to build with wood on an exterior redwood, eastern red cedar and bald cypress are the way to go if its to have a very long life span especially if its a local resource that can be had as a recycled material. It was also good to know that of the three toxic types of pressure treated wood there is one, water-borne, that is less toxic if it has got to be used.

7. Building systems are broken down in the 3 categories: structural, enclosure, and mechanical. Each system has a different role in the makeup of a building.
    The structural system pertains to the foundational elements of a building, such as its columns, beams, and loadbearing walls.
    The enclosure system is the ‘shell’ of a building, meaning, the elements that shelter the interior space. This would include exterior walls, windows, roof, and doors.
    The mechanical system provides basic service to a building. This includes things such as heating, ventilation, a sewage disposal system, a water supply system, electrical systems, etc.
    (Besides the basic systems there are other considerations, such as environmental impacts, aesthetic qualities, building codes, and economic considerations.)

8. Structural, Mechanical and enclosure systems makes up a building system. All three systems play a huge role in designing and constructing a building. For example, the structural system is, basically, the support for the entire building. Columns, beams and superstructure are the structural system that holds a building up. Mechanical system provides basic and necessary services to a building, such as water supply system, sewage disposal system, electrical system and more. And enclosure system is an envelope of a building that protects the building from a bad weather conditions, Also, enclosure system provides building with a light, air, and views. In order to design and construct a building you must use different materials. Steel mostly uses in structural system because this material is very hard to collapse or break down. Steel, also, can be used for creating doors and windows. Masonry uses for walls. Additionally, masonry uses for exterior walls, also known as face brick. There are other materials that use in creating building, such as concrete, wood, and cement. Overall, all these materials make building safer and useful for the longer period of time.

9. Immediately after completing the reading, I began to appreciate all the systems and the thought process of selecting materials for construction. Depending on the circumstances the structure is going to be construed in, a variety of factors must first be taken into account. For example, if a building is to be exposed to moisture, grade N concrete should be used as it is more durable and suited to water. Whereas if the building was constructed with grade S concrete, it would deteriorate quicker because it is not made to be exposed to moisture. The same applies to using wood in areas that would be susceptible to moisture exposure.
    The reading gave me a further understanding of how thoughtful I must be going forward when designing and also how each structure needs to be treated unique based on the situation.

10. After reading the chapter, I have a better understanding of the different types of building systems that come into play when constructing a structure. It breaks down 3 different types of system; structural system, enclosure system, and the mechanical system. It makes you think of how a building can have the same system as the human system. The Structural support system is like the building’s bone, designed to support and transmit applied gravity and lateral loads safely to the ground without exceeding the allowable stresses in its members. The enclosure system like the skin of the building; it’s the shell of a building consisting of the roof, exterior walls, windows, and doors. The mechanical system is like the circulatory system of the building. It’s the essential services to a building such as water supply system, heating, electrical, and fire fighting systems. The different types of building elements were put into perspective on what it takes to construct a building. Structural frames, exterior, and interior bearing walls, nonbearing walls, floor construction, and roof construction are all different aspects of formatting a building.

11. There are three different parts in Building systems. Structural system, Enclosure system, and mechanical system. A structural system is made up of different elements, such as columns, beams, and load-bearing walls, that are used as bones that hold up the building. Just like the human body, if there are no bones or if the bones are too weak, then it will not perform well. The building will not be able to take loads. An enclosure system is what separates the interior from the exterior environment. Elements such as roofs and walls provide security and privacy while windows provide the access to light, air, and views. A mechanical system provides essential services such as plumbing, escalators, elevators, heating, and air-conditioning systems. The commonly used building materials are wood, metal, bricks, and concrete. There are two types of wood. Soft and hard wood. Hard wood is usually used for walls, floors and ceilings while soft wood is used for things like doors and window frames. Metal is used in bigger buildings as it is more durable than other materials, especially during harsh weathers. Concrete is a combination of aggregate and binder, making cement. It is used in the construction of roads, bridges, and buildings. Bricks are commonly used in the construction of masonry.

12. Building system in architecture is broken into three different elements: structural system, enclosure system and mechanical system. Structural system is a support system for the building to hold up the weight of all the members and materials inside a building. This system can come in many shapes and forms. For example, pillars or columns are needed in a construction of a building for it to stand up and support for weight. So, as you said in class that it’s like a body and structural system is the bone of the building. The second system of building system is enclosure system. The enclosure system is the parts of a building that protects us from the outside or help us maintain weather, light, heat, air. It also protects our safety and privacy. Walls protect us from noises, windows allows air and light to enter the building and doors are for access to go inside and come outside. Enclosure system is the skin of the building. The third and last system is mechanical system. Mechanical system is like the organ systems of a building. It is basically what functions the building. From electrical , heat, power, water controls to removal of the waste produced in the building, the mechanical system had always been in the picture. Mechanical system basically keeps the building functioned and maintained.

13. After reading a paragraph about building systems I realized one more time how complex is the structure of the building. The article describes the functioning of the main elements of a building system: structural, enclosure, and mechanical. All these systems can exist on is own, but only together they provide a fully functional building for people.
    Paragraphs about Building materials gave me a detailed overview of the main building resources like stone, wood, concrete, and steel. It also clarified some of the common misconception about the difference between a brick and concrete block, or difference between timber and lumber.

1. Building elements. Besides the physical systems a good architect has to be cognizant of the “soft” systems that interact one within the structure to create successful architecture. How the space integrates integrates with its environment, scale, proportion, traffic flow and division of internal spaces are some of the things a good architect had to think about when creating. There are many complex systems that work together within a structure. An architect has many materials at hand to create with: each with pros and limits.

14. Building systems are broken into 3 parts: mechanical, structural, and enclosure. In class we discussed that as an analogy we can use the human body to describe what a building system is. The enclosure system would be the skin of a person, this means that for a building its skin would be a its walls, doors, windows, and roof because they protect us from the outside. Mechanical system is can be represented as our circulation, digestion, nervous systems, etc. For a building its mechanical systems would be the heating system, water system, air conditioning system, light system, etc. Finally the Structural system can be represented as the bones of a human body. The structural system of a building can be columns, beams, and superstructure because they all support a building. After reading and doing the concept map I realized that there is always more to learn about architecture.

15. After reading Building Systems I can say that I have a better understanding of how buildings work. Everybody knows the basics of how buildings are built which to me before I read the chapter where that you have an idea of how the building is supposed to look, then you get to create it in a model with an artist which is the architect and then after some people check it out and approve its safety the building is built with the materials that were chosen. Moreover, buildings need an inner system that makes the water, heating and other things work. Now after I have read the chapter I know what everything is called and what the name of those things are. Building systems for me divides into different parts like; Structural system, Enclosure system, Mechanical System that are the main ones and can also be divided into; Performance requirements, Aesthetic Qualities, Regulatory constraint, Economic considerations, Environmental impact, and Construction practices. All these parts are needed for a building to be built. If we get into more detail Structural Systems is defined as the inner part of the building that supports it, Enclosure systems are defined as the shell or the outer part of a building, and last but not least mechanical system which makes the building work connecting it to energy, water supply, and others.

Reymond Jimenez.

16. The building system is composed of three systems: structural system, enclosure system and mechanical system.
    The structural system is the support of the building, it resists the loads acting on the structure. It is a combination of several building elements such as columns, beams, load-bearing walls, trusses, frame, etc.
    The enclosure system is the cover of the building, it protects the interior spaces from weather. It consist of roof, exterior walls, windows and doors.
    The mechanical system provides the essential services such as water supply, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, electricity, vertical transportation, etc.
    Before integrating the building systems in construction, there are a lot of factors we need to take into account like the building code, building performance, aesthetic quality, environmental impact, etc.
    The most common building materials are concrete which is a mix of aggregate, cement and water; masonry that consist of bricks, stone or concrete block; steel, wood, glass etc.