My Mentor

During my internship, I consider my supervisor as my mentor. I get to learn how she manages her company. We also review the projects and how it can be improved on. I have gotten better at menu design. Before starting this internship, I have never designed with so much text. Even in magazines, I can just cut off the text. In menu design, you cannot just take out an item. The client wants all of the items to fit on the menu. Menu design helped me with type.

Graphic design is not only about the visuals, but also about the type. Through this internship, I learnt how to design with large amounts of copy. I learned how to design using hierarchy. In menu design, fonts are usually limited because clients want to have a certain feeling in the menu. I used more variations of the fonts instead of picking new fonts.  I also used color to differentiate the categories.

Igloo Menu-page-004

Igloo Menu-page-004

Igloo Menu-page-005

Igloo Menu-page-005

My supervisor said that my designing skilled improved. I am able to design more efficiently compared to before. I have gained invaluable experience from my supervisor. Not only did I improve on graphic design skills, but I learned about communication. I learned how my supervisor managed her business. With these experiences, I will become a better graphic designer.