Self-Evaluation

Utopia Bagel menu board before

Utopia Bagel menu board before

For the past week I have been working on a few projects. I was assigned a series of menu board for a place called Utopia Bagel. I have also been working on dish cards, half page advertisements and t-shirts. The menu boards Utopia Bagel requested we design are very large. They are all 2 feet tall. One of them is 10 feet wide, while the other two are 4 feet wide. While designing these menu boards, I had to make the font size as big as possible. This made the text very close and jammed packed. It felt like there were too many words on the menu boards.

I had a difficult time keeping the font size big and legible while having all the copy fit. My supervisor said to make the copy either 60 point or 72 point. I felt challenged when I designed the board for the cold cuts. A few of the words were too long and would not fit into the column. I could not change the point size to be smaller. I tried to make the font skinnier, but it looked awkward.

Utopia Bagel menu board after

Utopia Bagel menu board after

After attempting to design the cold cuts menu board, I was not satisfied by how it looked. I asked my supervisor to take a look at the menu board. My supervisor said that if she was the professor, she would give me an A. She said I was learning about how to design menu boards and that it was a good experience. We went over the menu board and she made changes. After making the changes the cold cut menu board looked much better. It was not as crowded as before. Some words were taken out to create more room.

After designing a 10 feet by 2 feet board, I gained much more experience in menu board design. The initial board was not designed well enough, but I learned how to make changes to make it legible. It is great that my supervisor goes over the projects because this way I am able to get immediate feedback. Overall, I felt that designing the menu board was something we do not always design for. So this was something new and challenging for me to experience.