Brooklyn Greenway Initiative
Sarah Ruth Jacobs, Ruth Marsiliani, Tracy Zimmerman
Community Centered Benefits
- The community will be able to access the waterfront and have a space they can enjoy and congregate. Currently the space is not benefiting the community, and children will have a new outdoor area.
- Picnic tables and fencing will ensure families can gather safely.
- Community centers and community-based programs will be put into place.
- The area will be beautified, and the community can enjoy the beautiful space.
- Maintaining and securing the space may create jobs for residents of the community.
- Our plans will be developed with the assistance of community partners and will be presented for feedback to different stakeholders, from local businesses to community organizations.
Business Centered Benefits
- Beautifying the area will make it more attractive to prospective investors and business owners.
- Incentives will be offered for business opportunities for the community-based businesses, such as food truck spaces.
We know that developing the waterfront poses a possible loss of the sense of community, as new businesses and residents potentially seek to move in. Historically, Sunset Park has had very strong community engagement and planning, and we think that with the continued involvement of different stakeholders, the development of the waterfront does not have to threaten local businesses and residents.